F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Anyone read Beth Moore? She's a very popular women's bible study author, I haven't read her yet but I understand she's wonderful.

Shark
Shark
She is one of my favorits too!!! Fruit of the spirit and Freedom in Chirst were great study guides!!!

Judge not lest ye be judged: all things are permittable but not all things are beneficial
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Beth Moore is very good. She's to the point and really deals with women's issues in a real-life way. I've enjoyed the Bible studies our church (well the one we were going to) that were written by her. (We are currently looking for a new church to attend.)

I love my computer program QuickVerse! I know y'all have seen me mention it before. But it has about 20 different verions of the Bible, some older version (like the original King James, and Young's Literal Translation) up to some very contemporary ones (New English Standard, and The Message - the Bible in Contemporary Speech) and everything in between.

It also has Bible studies, Bible references, Commentaries, Devotionals, Dictionaries, Maps, and Theology and Doctrine.

It makes Bible study that used to be a 15 minute "have to do" into an hour long journey that is really exciting and informative.

We bought the original version for about $80, then upgraded over the years $150 sometimes and $70 sometimes.

To buy the new version now my husband says is around $400 for the version we have. But they have all sorts of levels. They have a website (I think) Quickverse.com that you can see what all they offer.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Here is a great site that you can download book versions to make it easier to read.

http://www.biblehelp.org/case.htm

Shark
Shark
on this site i found the following
Donating money to church is a good example of differences in motivation. Let�s consider two different people who put $500 into the church offering plate. The first Christian quietly places his money in the plate out of his love for Christ and his desire to see the gospel sent out. The second Christian flashes his money before those sitting around him because he wants to impress them and draw attention to himself. The motives of the first believer are pure and he will receive great rewards for his deed. The motives of the second believer are selfish and impure. He will receive no eternal rewards for his deed.

does this not imply that the first person wants a reward as well as the second person only the first person wants his reward in heaven where the second person wants his reward on earth? so dont they both have selfish reasons for giveing there $$$ to the church? are we not suppost to love God and give out of love and the want to help not because God will "bless" us more then someone else because we did or that people will be impressed?

are we not all equel in Gods eyes?

Judge not lest ye be judged: all things are permittable but not all things are beneficial
Amoeba
Amoeba
I have lately been engrossed in books written by Ted Dekker. My current read is Blessed Child - it has been one of those where I feel His presence exuding from the pages so strong I put the book down in tears and am on my knees in worship. Ted has a gift for bringing our faith to life!

Carissa Vaughn Mental Health Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Freebubbles2

The issue here isn't money or what we do for reward. The person who quietly gives $500.00 does so because the Holy Spirit asks them to and they do so will a joyful obident heart. The other gives $500.00 in order to prove to others that he has money, is more generous, is a better Christian. All things not from God.

We only need to do what God asks of us, no more, no less.

Personal example. For some reason I felt compelled to go to 7/11 for a slurpy. Now this isn't something I do on regular basis, it is rare. When I was leaving a boy came up to me and asked for changed so he could get gas for a car that wasn't there. I was compelled to give him a certain amount, no more no less, so he'd have enough to get where he needed to. I did so because God asked me to, not because I want a reward in heaven.

Jesus calls us to be servants to each other and help those in need. Not openly showing off because we are more pious then those arround us because the more pious are those unsung heros who listen to God and act quietly just as he does.

You have an issue with giving money to the Church. Many do and this I understand. But how will the church pay the mortgage, maintain the building, fix the plumbing, pay the pastors, reach out to the community and support those who give their lives to missions if no one gives. Some are called to give of their money, some are called to give of their time, others are called to give in kind, and some like myself are provided with a creative answer to support and give. God will let each of his children know what is appropriate and what is not. If you give and then are upset because your short cash or your upset because you didn't get the attention you wanted or you have regrets then it was not what God asked you to do.

God is clear in the Bible about the consequenses of all our actions. Some consequenses are bad, others are good. He lets us know ahead of time so there will be no surprises on judgement day. He's not trying to intice us to act a certain way for a reward, that is just the consequence of certain actions. Those that do just for reward, whether or not on earth or in heaven do so for selfish reasons and the consequence of that is clear as well.

Just a thought: Selfishness is the original sin and the basis for all sin. Think about it....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.