Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good book for ID-ing crystals, gems, and such. I have some that I have no idea what they are.

Thanks.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
It's often best to consult a scientific resource for that.

I'd suggest going to the library and looking at books on gemstone identification. I tend towards ones with lots of clear pictures, as I don't have any scientific instruments to get all fancy and detailed.

Also, over the years, I've learned to ask what stuff is before I buy it and if the name is unusual, I'll write it down. That's really helped.

Gecko
Gecko
http://www.rocksforkids.com/RFK/Rocks&Minerals.html this might help a little. I'm sad to say that I can't remember some of the test that my Dad taught me to identify rocks (he was a rock hound). The thing we do is when we go hiking and pick up rocks, we spit on them (sorry not trying to gross anyone out here) to see what they will look like polished or cleaned up. If we like it, the rock comes home with us. Luckily my 10 year old has picked up that trait (pick up and learning about the rocks) from my dad, he loves all rocks. Some I automatically know from experience others I do the spit test.

Parakeet
Parakeet
There is a book thats really good if you want both pictures and magical uses ... The Crystal Bible I think it is

Otherwise I would agree with Rae that a geology type book would be good

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall has proved to be very helpful in ID-ing rocks and crystals. I only wish it was organized by color or some other way than alphabetically. This book seems to assume that you already know what you are dealing with, but I don't mind flipping through until I find something that looks promising.

Thanks for the tips!!

S
S
What I did when I was learning about crystals was to buy a new one every month and then read up everything I could about that one..it was very usefull as I learned alot first hand..I also put the crystal on my altar and use that energy in my life..funny how I always chose the right one!! Now I have a wonderful collection of crystals!!!
Another way to do it is to buy the crystals according to your needs at that time ie..if you feel unloved you will need a rose quartz and in so learn about the crystal..

A very good book I came accross is The American Indian Secrets of Crystal Healing..It has the usual info about the properties but it has a lot of new and interesting theories about crystals...

Parakeet
Parakeet
thats a great way to do it silbermoon!

we also recommend that our students "experience" the energies of the stones but carrying it withthem, sleeping with it, etc. for a while and noting things like how it makes you feel etc.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Also try a feild guide to rocks...being a past Forestry major in college Petersen's were my best friends, lots of color pictures and easy dicotimous (2 yes or no questionsthat lead you to the iidentification)keys

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Moderated by  Ro Longstreet-Wicca 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.