logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259281 07/18/06 11:01 AM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I hope it's OK if I post about tinnitus in this forum. While it's not strictly deafness, hearing can be impaired.

I'm 38 now and was diagnosed at 12 after telling my parents I could hear a hissing noise in my ears.

Does anyone else suffer with tinnitus? Mine isn't so bad that I need a mask for it yet, but I'm sure it will eventually get that way.

My tinnitus is hereditary, my father has it. He worked on jet engines during his National Service in the 50s and that sparked it then. He's 70 now and suffering some regular hearing loss as well. I really wish he'd get a hearing aid... it can get pretty infuriating when you have to say everything twice.

Anyway, anyone out there feel my pain? :-)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#259282 07/19/06 12:25 AM
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Thank you for posting about this topic. I do suffer from tinnitus. I have some tinnitus to varying degrees every day. I think, though, that I have been able to tune it out somewhat. Otherwise, it would be unbearable. Do you find with the regular tinnitus sounds, that you also hear buzzing sounds. I have found that about my circumstance.

#259283 07/19/06 01:37 PM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
My tinnitus is more like a "sound hangover" like when you go to a loud concert and your ears hiss the next day. I have that variety. I find, though, that there is an upside to tinnitus (honest!) - my ears are my early warning system for when I'm getting sick. My tinnitus gets louder if I'm starting to get unwell, so I pop an Airborne every few hours and that can help immensely! :-)

I've definitely tuned mine out to an extent as well. Though I am sad that I'll never experience complete silence ever again, I think if we didn't tune it out, we'd go insane! lol

#259284 07/20/06 02:00 AM
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
I agree that it would drive us crazy if we focused entirely on the tinnitus. hehe

I also have noticed that just before it gets worse for me, I get a loud level of tinnitus. One other comical part for me is that when there is a large dumptruck, school bus, city bus etc., at the bus stop, I can hear it. My kids always comment on it. I'll tell them there is a bus at the intersection and when they go check it out, they find I'm right. Truly comical moments in the midst of an illness that can at times be quite frustrating.

#259285 07/24/06 05:15 AM
Parakeet
Parakeet
I also have lived with tinnitus since childhood. I am going deaf - it's hereditary and my Dad went deaf in his 20's so I am lucky to have had more time than him to hear - but the tinnitus started long before the hearing loss.

Some great things to mask it, if you find yourself needing to do so, are white noise machines and CDs. I just ordered four CDs from www.purewhitenoise.com which only sells white noise CDs like the surf, rain, a box fan, and many other things that soothe and help people to stop focusing on the head noises.

Mine is mostly either birds chirping or static (like, actually, white noise!). It doesn't bother me too much but at night at times it is hard to sleep. So...I put in a CD and make it loop and fall right asleep and wake up to the sound as well.

During the day I don't notice it much unless it starts to be a beeping sound that continues for a long time. THAT makes me crazy!

[color:"#800080"]Wrestling Editor: [url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
#259286 07/25/06 05:15 PM
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. You must be very pleased for having the extra time to hear. Your post is very informative, which is great! I most likely will write an article, leading those that are late-deafened to the link you provided. Thank you again, for your input here. It is appreciated.

Last edited by kellideister; 07/25/06 05:16 PM.
Amoeba
Amoeba

~Shalom~

Regarding tinnitus*

Chiropractic and hose wellness practitioners who sepecialize in cochlear imnalance can be most effective.

Good chiropratic care is not the same as great chiropractic care.
Find that chiropractor who is able to adjust your body and also HEARS your voice as well.

ShabbatShalom
askarabbi@yahoo.com

be fitly blessed,
aTeeDAZ

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.