Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258056 07/11/06 07:52 PM
C
cmb64 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi. This is my first post here. Anyone here with a kid who has Down Syndrome?
My son Sam is going to be three next month and he has DS.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#258057 07/27/06 06:33 PM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Quote:
Hi. This is my first post here. Anyone here with a kid who has Down Syndrome?
My son Sam is going to be three next month and he has DS.

Hello!

Happy Third Birthday to your son.

Will he be transitioning from early intervention to a first school district preschool year in the Fall? You are probably already shopping for the cutest 'first day of the new school year' outfit for him. I bet he is cute as a button! I suppose most toddlers and preschoolers with Down Syndrome are included in regular community programs and preschools these days, or have a mix of activities.

Does he fit part of the profile of description "Your Two Year Old - Terrible and Terrific"? Or am I getting it confused with "Your Three Year Old - Tender and Terrific"? I always appreciated the diversity of moods and characteristics the titles of the books in that series employed.

We have a young man with DS in our family who will be 23 years old at the end of October. He has had the benefit of support from and inclusion in his community from his earliest days, not without some struggles with the school system and other resources who were somewhat resistant to family and community advocacy efforts.

He graduated from our local high school with his mainstream kindergarten classmates in 2002, and has attended community college classes that he enjoys very much. A few weeks ago he made an impromptu speech that wowed the crowd at a graduation party for two friends; the younger brother graduated from high school and the older sister from college. He continues to delight us with his own accomplishments, interests and social intelligence.

A very good resource to be put in touch with other families raising sons and daughters who were born with Down syndrome is the down-syn list, a public list serv with over 700 regular subscribers who are family members, professionals or friends of people with DS. You can subscribe to the digest version to make it more manageable in your email account, or read it as a newsgroup.

We have articles at the Special Needs Children website at BellaOnline.com that you might enjoy reading and sharing with your local support group or provide to hospital or birth center libraries that I will list below. Other general articles on education, inclusion and family support might also be of interest.

Here are some of them

Welcoming Babies with Down Syndrome - English
(Spanish and French below)
[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.