Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art43414.asp

Earlier this week I wrote the above article on the tools that someone who is setting out to learn his or her first stitches in knitting needs to buy. I feel quite strongly that someone like this isn't going to need additional items such as tape measure or crochet hook which most seasoned knitters will have in their workbasket, until they're actually ready to knit an item. Once they've actually learned to cast on, knit and purl, increase, decrease and cast off they will know whether they're going to enjoy knitting. They can then go back to the yarn shop and buy the materials for a simple item such as a bag or scarf and then the additional items will become necessary.

What do others think?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Here's my 2 cents worth and I by no means intend to offend...

boy that sounds like it would pull someone up, which is not my intention! I'm a pretty laid back barefoot, handspinning, knitting kind of gal.

I've taught knitting to kids and teens, and also have taught dressmaking and quilting to kids. I like to make sure they have a few basic supplies, even for the beginning projects. However, I don't feel that they should go into any expense at the beginning. Personally, when i teach someone to knit I suggest having a tape measure, scissors-nothing fancy at this point, a pad of paper to keep notes on and a needle for weaving in the loose ends.

I'd like to add something, with bamboo and wood needles it's easy to keep stitches from slipping off which may help some beginners to not feel so frustrated if they keep dropping stitches.

I liked the article and Addi's are my favorite also. You're doing a good job and I'm glad I wandered my way back to Bella!

Bunny

...�,......�...�......,�
((�,�.�� �o� `�.�.,�))
.......��.)'(.�.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.