OP Offline
Shark

Danielle Garrison
BellaOnline's Paranormal Editor
Co-Founder Crossroads Paranormal
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
This subject has always been a fascinating one to me. I was a practitioner of Wicca for several years before I became an eclectic Pagan. I also a couple years of grad school focusing on religion and magic from the ancient to the modern world. So when I speak on the topic, I speak from personal experience, and also from an historical perspective.

I had several conversations with a fellow student when I was an undergrad, who was a good 10 yrs older than me, who was very adamant about being glad that she did not remain a practitioner of Voodoo. She claimed that it was too cultish for her, and that's why she went back to Christianity. Fine for her I guess. I don't see anything wrong with Voodoo. Its a combination of west african witchcraft/folk religion and Christianity, as far as I know I think there are correspondences between the saints and the spirits. I am pretty sure it is also like this in Santeria. I am really interested in learning about Brujeria, but cannot find much information at all unfortunately. From what I understand, Brujeria differs from Santeria, in that it is entirely a form of witchcraft that hasn't been meshed with Christianity.

For a long time a the world has been rife with fears about Witchcraft. Maybe its that differing cultural worlds of godfearing men and women fear people who are not afraid to remain tied to the spirituality of their ancestors and who do not break/convert easily. Even among those who have converted through the phases of conquest, they managed to maintain a link with the old ways, which baffled conquistadores for a very long time, and still do to this day. But this isn't meant to exist as a stab at Christianity because there have been other monotheistic religions that have been having this taboo battle with cultural forms of Witchcraft since time immemoriam. Mohammed's conquest of Islam tore through desert villages, and managed to adopt in a subdued position the goddess concepts that lent themselves to blood-hungry warfare, who even today exist subdued concepts in Islam. Judaism's fight against witchcraft goes all the way back to the cradle of civilization, and many of the stories in the bible were based on or parallel the myths and legends of the Ancient Near East.

Hollywood is saturated with myths of the witch. Too bad none of that stuff actually happens. It might make life a bit more interesting from time to time. But I find that especially here in the US, it has become so riddled with the idea that there's a one true way, and that if you pursue witchcraft, you're doing a bad thing b/c too many interpret the bible literally, instead of looking at it like other mythologies. Witchcraft is really making a comeback or maybe it never really left.

tiamat4 #410434 04/22/08 09:45 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
tiamat4 - Very Well Put!
I think all of us in American have been affected (tainted is a bit more accurate) by the method of control of organized Euro-Christian churches. But then Fear is the method of control for most (not all) organized religions. Satan is the symbol of control and intolerance is the mechanism. If one doesn't worship as we do, they are witches and worship Satan.

I have several Wiccan friends and I completely respect their choice for spiritual fulfillment. I don't know much about general Wiccan practices, but it seems to be a very individualistic form of worship/way of life. I feel it is quite complimentary to Native American spirituality, which is also individualistic. Anything positive and somewhat based on caring for the Earth is completely acceptable to me.

My Wiccan friends often join us at Pow-Wows.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Shark
Shark
I like practicing my own eclectic mish mash. Anyone who practices a form of Witchcraft, be it paganistic or Wiccan, or whatever, I respect as long as they are respectful of others.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
My other half is a paranormal investigator who talks to people "ghosts" in buildings. Instead of trying to "cast" them out like many of the religious do, she does not view them as evil and tries to communicate with them to see if they might have a message for our benefit or to uncover a secret that can give ease to those on the other side as well as the living. She says that listening is the key and having no fear to inquire of them is paramount. What you see on T.V. may not always be what is really happening in the spirit world. She and I have both had some incredible communications with those on the other side. Now onto the matter of witchcraft. I applaud the Wiccans as they have stood against many oppressors and continue to give and share and heal themselves and others. Blessed Be

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 05/02/08 02:07 AM.
#415900 05/07/08 03:54 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
It's so good to hear this ancientflaxman!

I've often wondered if demonic activity is simply that they have been too cut off from their "source" for too long, and that love is actually what is needed - not exorcisms.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Koala
Koala
Forgive this post if it is out of line but I have been in many Wicaan and Pagan forums and found that many who practice Pagan and other Earth based religions use to be Christians. I have to wonder if back in the old days if many who practiced Paganism or other earth based religions did not also break away from a Monothisisic religion and that is why they would rather die then convert or reconvert....and following in this vain it makes be wonder what happen to make them leave the Monothisic path.
From a Christian pov they were and are decived by Satan, the devil, Luthifer...whatever you would like to call it him or her... but what about from a Pagan POV?

freespirit #416378 05/08/08 08:11 PM
L
Shark
Shark
L
this(as in mine)pagan POV is that modern paganism just provides more of the puzzle pieces in today's complex World. Humans NEED archetypes and rituals whether we like to admit it or not. Religion has always fulfilled that need and other needs like the need to feel like you are a part---an important and essential part---of something larger than yourself. The connection with all living things. Christianity answered a need that is how and why it developed into what it did, but now it is no always answering everyones' needs. The World has turned yet again. Human nature tries to go back to the last thing that worked. Old paganism will not work in this World today, but perhaps a new spin on the old stuff will. I am a Catholic strega. I just can't discount this Jesus business. BUT I can't throw the baby out with the bath water either. I am gathering the bits of truth relavent to me. It just so happens that it is relevant to alot of others now too.

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
LadyLvsNyt #416913 05/10/08 01:13 PM
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Raven G. You have no idea how much I appreciate where you have been and now are. Such honesty is not often revealed in humans today. I think that allowing ourselves to grow without fear during our investigation and gathering the "bits of truth relevant to me", as you put it, fills in the gaps that we all have. I am reminded of an old hymn that we used to sing many years ago.I may have gotten the words mixed up because it has been 40 years ago, if so I am sorry. Some of the words went like this; Once to every man and nation comes the moment to decide, in the strife with truth or falsehood for the good or evil side, new occasions teach new duties time makes ancient good uncouth, we would always upward onward who would keep abreast of truth.

#416920 05/10/08 02:06 PM
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Christianity is abundant with magic and mysticism. Put in this vernacular however "Thems fightin words" to some. When I was preaching in one church I remember; As I was speaking the fairies {Little People] were playing on the overhead turned wooden poles that would span the building to each of the outside walls. How in the dickens would I be able to share this information with any of these people?????? I would look up and see them which was perfectly acceptable as the congregation probably thought I was communing with God as I was speaking? I tried to deny their existance as I was concentrating on doing my pastor thing and prayed for help in such. I got my answer. What does a person go through when something is so obvious and you must keep it within. I just think that they loved to harass me a little as I stood there so pompously with my shimmering robe and gold sash with the cross on it. They still play pranks on me especially when I get up tight. They will hide my keys or socks or anything until my attention from frustation to "lightening up" is sufficiently diverted. Then I will find them in the exact place that I put them which is frustrating when I looked there a dozen times earlier. When my son and I would have a little bull-head match or testosterone war, the fairies, even though they love to pull pranks, would try to restore order. My other half and I would wake up to the morning alarm clock blazing with acid rock while my son would awake to Bachs' Tacotta, Adagio, and fugue in C Major played by E Power Biggs on the Harvard three manual pipe organ. He would come roaring into our room and demand to know why we put that "[censored]" on his radio. We all had to laugh when we knew that we had made no such changes. Blessed Be

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 05/10/08 02:54 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Deena - Paranormal Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.