Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Zebra
Zebra
That's exactly it, Kelly... and it was Carl Jung who said:

"The Past is over. Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better Past."

The thing is, it is very difficult to release, let go and sever ties with what we experienced, if the aggressor never acknowledges what they put us through, nor apologises for the very real Pain they caused...
But when somebody has either made the effort to find us and say sorry, or when confronted with their act, they realise and make amends, then surely, the bit in us that manifests bewilderment, is the very part that they are reaching out to? The stimulation of our perplexion is a sign in itself that part of us wishes to Forgive. If the hurt and pain was so bad, we would dismiss any attempt with hostility and anger...We wouldn't even begin to think about it.

So the search for forgiveness deserves a small amount of positive feedback. Forgiveness is not giving in, or backing down. It is stepping up and being Big.
It is the first step in being able to breathe freely again, and in shedding the baggage which weighs us down....

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
A
Recognizing he is an abuser, what will it benefit you to have any contact with him? I am assuming that is what you meant with making peace with him.

I have worked with many abused persons. One of the challenges they had was releasing thier emotional attachment with the abuser.

As Alexandra quoted "The Past is over. Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better Past."

You did not deserve the abuse and there are no excuses for what he did. How easy it is for him to seek absolution from you for his behavior.

He said he needed to tell you that he acknowledges his behavior and you allowed him to do so. You were gratious in manner while he did so.

In my mind forgiving an abuser is simply not wishing him/her harm.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Quote:
i separated his actions from the person

What an insight Alicat!

It is so hard to do this, but I think this is the goal we should all aim for. I personally have grown to hate the phrase "forgive and forget". I'm sorry, as an imperfect human being, i can't just forget stuff like that - it tends to haunt me, and come back at some of the worst times to boot!

But i can make the choice to forgive. And this forgiveness does not always mean staying with a person (if it is an abusive spouse), and it also does not require the other person to be sorry (although it is much eaiser when they are.)

But forgiving someone of a hurt done against you frees your own heart of so much anger and rage. And holding onto that is only a spiralling well that gets worse and worse.

To begin with it maybe only words, saying "I forgive" - but eventually if you say it enough times you will come to believe it, and you will find a peace that comes with it.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Zebra
Zebra
....Thus have I heard.....
There are different types of forgiveness, and as I have said before, I personally see my perception of things on two levels: the Practical and the Spiritual...
...So if we are to forgive someone, it is only sometimes appropriate to do so on a Practical level, but it is ALWAYS appropriate to do so on a Spiritual level. The murderer, thief, drunken driver must be seen to be accountable socially for their actions. "Social Forgiveness" in this case, would be inappropriate and let him/her off the hook.
However, I firmly believe that Forgiveness Spiritually, is something we need to develop not only for the perpetrator, but also for ourselves. And Unconditional Love and Universal Compassion are given whether the recipient asks for it or not, or whether they are aware of it or not.
In order to forgive someone, we must also release ourselves from the burden of carrying the resentment, the anger and the hatred that NOT forgiving can engender.
So, for me, Forgiveness is a two-way thing: It is for the benefit of the person's Emotional Well-being that we find Forgiveness in our hearts - and it is for the Benefit of our own Progress, that we nurture this ability to Forgive.

I have to say, '*..._..._..._...*' as it sounds, (you'll have to fill in your own word, I'm not quite sure what term to use) I actually learnt this lesson on the Oprah Winfrey show, with Dr. Phil McGraw. Say what you want about him, but it was something that I obviously needed at the time, and that hit home with me on several levels.

It's not about letting others off the hook, It's about letting yourself off the hook, and that you are simply not going to let this rule and dominate your life or hang around your neck, O N E - M O R E - D A Y.
Let them bear the burden of responsibility. You don't have to. And even if they refuse to, or don't even see it, the most important thing is to just get out of the shackles and liberate yourself.
Because as Bob Marley said, nobody but you can free you from the Slavery of your Mind.

Even though we've lumped the two words ("Forgive and Forget") into one phrase - they go together so poetically - they shouldn't be taken as a single factor or entity. The two terms require two quite different processes. One entails releasing an Emotional function, and working on a Psychological level, to release and liberate oneself from a specific issue; the other is a physical reality and mechanical function of the brain. It's what it does. It's what we train it to do. We have often said that you can't unlearn something. And indeed, barring accident, you can't. It's lodged and logged.
Naturally, the brain stores away unwanted and unnecessary information in it's Subconscious (Mental filing cabinet) which is deemed accessible through hypnotism.
In fact, emotionally damaging and negative memories can be encouraged to enter and be stored in the subconscious, in the same way, although this is a more prolonged and complex process....
But to be able to forget something, as a simple follow-on process of Forgiving, I would say is Impossible.

At this juncture, you cannot take the degree of the hurt into account. It's a bit in the same vein as " 'Do' or 'Do not' - there is no 'Try' ".
Because look at it the other way... The less you are able to forgive, the more you are giving these "transgressions" your FULL permission and endorsement to continue influencing and damaging your life.
"It hurt a lot, I can't forgive, so I can be in pain a lot; it hurt a little bit, I can't forgive, so I'll continue hurting a little bit."
Who would willingly keep whanging themselves over the head with a frying pan? It's insane! And so wonderful when it stops - !!

It truly is about releasing yourself first - fully, completely and entirely- from giving it permission to hurt you. Only when you can visualise the 'offender' sitting in a chair infront of you, and you really just want to hug that person and say it's over - can you say that you yourself, have really Forgiven.
You might never forget. But by forgiving, you rise above it. Waaaaaay above it.

You don't end up by looking at the clouds and seeing the silver lining.
Because you're walking on them.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Wow! That's what I love about everyone here. You are all honest and open with your feelings and views. When he apologized to me I was really taken aback by it. Yea I heard him say he was sorry more times then I could count, this one I could feel that he meant it. It was nice to hear but I don't think I could ever forgive him no matter what he says or does.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Wolf
Wolf
There is one important factor to consider. He apologized. But has he really changed? Please forgive him in your mind whether he says sorry or not. But let him suffer the pain of having abused. that will depend on his true feelings. There are evil people in this world, who act differently to what they truly are. Forget him forever and carry on. Leave him to his karma.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
His karma is kicking his rear still. It has been a little over 2 years now and he is still homeless. He lives in a housing place for people with psychological problems but he is only allowed there for a certain amount of time. He can't find a job because when he violated the restraining order, he commited a felony. They charged him with stalking the second time he came back because i saw him trying to hide in the bushes. I do feel like he is sorry but I don't know if it is for the whole history or for coming back and getting arrested.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Shark
Shark
I think it one thing to forgive and another to froget. we should for give people for ourselves. we can come to a place that we can say yes you hurt me but i forgive you because i dont love you enough to hate you anymore!! and i think we should remember what it was like the worning signs, and how we felt so we can keep ourselves safe and help others. to brake the cycle as is were... but part of forgiveness is finding balance between helping other and codependce, protecting ourself and being paranoid. not all men (women) are like our attachers. but we also have to learn to trust ourselves, and forgive ourselves because even though poeple tell us it is not are fault...the voice in side of us has doubt!!! Forgiveing the other person may not mean nothing to them or they can use it against you and worm there way back in to your life. but forgiveing them(not forgeting!!!) helps you to find balance and peace because until you get to that point you will look at the world from victom eyes and you never find peace because your haunted!!

All things are permissible but not all things are beneficial. judge not lest ye be judged.
Forgiving someone has nothing to do with excusing their behavior. You forgive someone else for yourself.
Scarlett

I will survive
Scarlett
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.