logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24244 01/11/05 01:25 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
My 3 1/2 year old son has recently started to have bad dreams and waking up at night. He says he doesn't want us to leave him. He gets upset if one of us leaves to go to the store or work. I just put him down for a nap and he made me promise not to leave. Is this normal and how do I handle it? I have never left him anywhere by himself. I have not left him with even family lately, so I don't know what is going on. He also asks about where his sister is all the time if he doesn't see her. Help.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
This is called night terriers. Has your family had a drastic upset recently? Deaths in the family, maybe your son witness something on tv that has terrified him. The best thing you can do is insure him that you are in the next room and that he is just having a bad dream. My son who is 11 has night terriers constantly and for the last few years has slept with his bedroom door open but this is do to a death in our family and a break in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter started with night terrors when she was only 8 months old. Night terrors aren't necessarily caused by a traumatic incident that has occured. In my case, it runs in my family. Night terrors are completely different than a nightmare. You should discuss the situation with your family doctor. In my daughters case she needed to be put on medication.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Thanks for the advice. He is doing better lately. We moved about 6 months ago, so I thought maybe that was it. He had a bad night last week and remembered the dream. We talked about it and he seems to be better.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Night terriers? I must have been tired when I typed that lol. OMG rofl.Judith that could be it , a move will do it. So sorry for my typoes.

Night terriers= Night dogs ? ROFL.

Don't I look a fool.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
You know what helped my now 6 yr old? I read this tip a long time ago - get a spray bottle and fill it with water and a bit of lemon and squirt it every night to keep bad dreams away. It calmed her down enough to get her to sleep.

My oldest "turns the channel" on her pillow when she has a bad dream, she flips her pillow over.

Maybe that'll help??

Meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
M
M
Judith
What you describe is 2 seperate issues and not necessarily connected to each other. It's all part of normal development.
He is becoming aware of the world around him hense the origon of the dreams/nightmares. Leave a night light on, and when he wakes crying etc give a cuddle and reassurence.
Re- the clingy phase - its nothing you've done. Some children are more clingy than others. Management requires patience and sensitivity. Start reassurences in small steps eg "Mommy's going into the kitchen /bathroom and will be right back" Always tell him where you are going and when you will be back, and always truthful.
Example - Give a time- point to the clock- "when the big/hand is on ?? I will be right back" This also teaches him to read time/clock.
Habits are formed at this age and if he learns he can control your movements you may have trouble later on.
Toddlers whole existence is centred around parents / bonded carers, and trying to make sense of the world around him with realities of daily living is difficult at this age. Gaining his TRUST is the key to his feeling secure.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I will try some of these ideas. Thanks.

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.