logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi Everyone,

I want to start learning how to make the Celtic style tatting. I think that's what it is called, i.e. where the chains sort of criss-cross over each other. I have seen some beautiful ones in a number of tatting sites, but I want to start from basics first.

So I would be most grateful if anyone can point me to useful sites that can show me this. Thanks a lot.

Jon - in Malaysia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Hi Faizon,

I'm not aware of a site showing absolute basics as such, but there are plenty of free patterns available - I have some links to patterns in the Celtic Tatting section of the Free Patterns here at BellaOnline.

It's usually done with two or more pairs of shuttles which can be worked as two edgings done together and interlaced as you work, or the elements can be worked separately and added by interlacing and joining as you go. There is a further style which Rozella Linden does and she uses a needle to create Celtic tatted knots.

You might like to try Dianna Stevens's Celtic Bookmark which is not too difficult and very attractive - her site is at www.domesticarts.com . The pattern is at http://members.aol.com/Domestarts/CelticCross.html

OP Offline
I am sorry Gillian, what I meant by 'basic' is some simple patterns where the interlacing aren't that many. But I looked through the free Celtic tatting pattern instructions from your link at BellaOnine, and if I understand it correctly, it is a design style made up of several tatted pieces assembled together in a creative way.

I decided to try the bookmark by LaRae Mikulecky. Sections One to Three were easy enough, but I got stuck when starting Section Four. I am not sure how to start. Do I join the thread to the first picot before starting the first chain or do I join it at the end? And, how do I make this join?

I usually tidy up the thread ends by the magic thread method, one at the beginning and one at the end of the round. For this round, it would be easy enough if I start with CTM. But if I still have some more thread in the shuttle and do not want to wind a new shuttle, I will have four thread ends to hide. Where would be the suitable place to put in the magic threads?

I hope this isn't too much for you at one go.

Jon - in Malaysia
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Hi Faizon,

I honestly would wind another shuttle and not cut it off from the ball rather than have two pairs of ends to finish off. You can always use the thread elsewhere. However if you really do want to have two sets of ends I'd finish one set off into the first chain and one set off into the last chain. In other words, put the magic threads into both the first and last chain making sure the loops are pointing in the right direction.

The Section 4 round is chains only from what I can see so you would start by lock joining to a picot on the outer side of any of the split rings in the middle. Then proceed making chains as normal. Remember to tension each chain before you lock join to the next picot.

I must give that pattern a try some time, it's one I've always liked the look of.

OP Offline
Thanks Gillian. I followed your suggestion and wound up a new shuttle, and finished the bookmark. (I'd like to show you the finished product but I am not sure how to do it)

While waiting for your reply I managed to find another pattern which I think is a little simpler, at www.rozellalinden.com/
I think I will try this next.

Last edited by Wan Faizon Yusoff; 04/26/06 08:49 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Good luck, hope you enjoy the Celtic tatting!

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.