Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Samten Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
What are your thoughts on the going ons in Missouri?
My article is at http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art41309.asp

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
In reply to the book about Missouri and religion; I can't see them taking this very far. The Constitution simply states freedom of religion, meaning the governments can't get involved in religious issues here. Also it means that they can't farce a person to participate in a particular religion. Which is why prayer in school was banned in the first place! If a state were to say a certain religion were its "majority religion" and all must follow it; there would be close to a civil war. I don't think there is a judge alive that would ever allow it. Not if they wanted any longevity to their career!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Elephant
Elephant
I too can't see how passing such a resolution wouldn't be direct violation of the separation of church and state.

In fact in the Treaty of Tripoli, authored in 1796, article 11 reads:

Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Gecko
Gecko
In case anyone missed that, Musselmen is an old-fashioned term for Muslim, as is Mehomitan (Mohammedan). The treaty of Tripoli, a footnote in most American History textbooks, is once again EXTREMELY relevant. Great post, Rae!

Samten Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko

Samten Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko

T
Gecko
Gecko
T
Samten,
why are you deleting my posts here? This is a question regarding Christianity in Missouri and you won't allow a Christian to post a response?

Samten Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I deleted your post that were about the treaty of Tripoli.

The topic isn't about the treaty itself but about the laws n Missouri. Here is not the place to debate if the treaty is or isn't null and void. I deleted your post so that an off topic debate would not take place here.

The quote from the treaty was used to show that the United States was not founded on the Christian religion. And that the Missouri law violates the constitution and the seperation of church and state.

Megans post helped clarify what the Treaty of Tripoli is, somthing I was going to post before she beat me to it.

You are more then welcome to post your own thoughts on the Missouri bill. How you feel it will affect Christians and non-Christians. If you know of a document from American History that you feel supports your post you are wlecome to post a short quote from it and to link to it (if availible) or post the document title so that the rest of us can look it up.

T
Gecko
Gecko
T
While I agree that the U.S. is not founded on the Christian religion i.e. we have a secular government. Our government is founded upon Christian philosophies and thought. Christian principles, that is. For example; The three branches of government are representative of the Holy Trinity as described in the Bible. Father, Son, and Holy spirit.
1. Father=executive branch
2. Son=Judicial branch
3. Holy spirit= Legislative branch
The Father is the head and supreme authority like the president. The Bible says the Son will judge all things upon His second return. The legislative branch represents the spirit of the governed, the people. Also, the original congress waited until the 13th colony, Rhode Island, joined before ratifying the constitution. The number 13 represents a Godly number that means, "complete" in Hebrew. Jesus+12 disciples=13. God+ 12 tribes of Israel=13 as examples. Thought you might find this interesting.

Samten Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I don't think our current government reflects much of what our founders intended, I think the Missouri situation shows how different it now is.

Currently the most relevent 3's to describe the governement today would be:

The 3 Roots of Evil:
Greed
Hatred
Delusion

I enjoy number play. Lets start another topic to dicuss numbers in religion, though.

Last edited by Samten; 03/19/06 02:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.