Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I saw on Headline News today a story about an 80 year old lady driving down the wrong side of an interstate in Idaho or Illinois, forget the name of the State at the moment.

They got 70 phone calls about this wrong way driver and State Police had to follow her almost 15 miles to get her to stop. She was disoriented and they sent the Motor Vehicle information to check her license status.

Here in California that elderly man drove through the Farmer's Market killing and injuring many people a few years ago.

There was also an elderly grandmother who pressed the wrong pedal when picking up at a school and ran into some kids.

I think they need to have a limit, pre-set starting somewhere between 70-75.

I have a grandfather in his 80s I believe in NJ and he drives from what I have heard. It is a tough call, but nowadays you can have a car enter your living room, a plane land inside your house and these issues wreak havoc on our insurance rates and plans - especially if the guilty party is uninsured.

What do you think about a national age limit on driving?

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I think drivers should take the written and driving test to renew their license every 5 years beginning at age 70.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
You know, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's can strike at any age and with little to know warning. And so many people are out there driving for 20 -30 years having no idea any more of what the basic road laws are. (I know I don't remember half of what I studied when I was 16!)

I think to make it completely fair it would not be a bad idea to make everyone take a written exam every 5 years and a driving test every 7 to 10 years. That way no-one can claim that people are trying to be unfair to the elderly - it is just trying to keep unsafe drivers off the road, no matter what their age.

Plus, it would make people pay a lot more attention to the road rules that they blithely ignore on a day to day basis!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
F
F

Yes!! Nice information that you have shared with us.
Thank you very much

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Where i live i believe you have to be 16 to get a license, May be they should raise that age to 18.
As for elderly drivers i have to agree with Susan,

Rosie L
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
I do not think there should be a mandatory upper age limit - no. There is a woman in our community who is brighter and sharper and a better driver at 92 years old (Yes - 92!) than most of the teenagers I see. She drives "the old folks" (aka 70 year olds) to the doctors, get their prescriptions, grocery shopping, etc. :-)

I also don't think being 16 automatically gives you a brain either. :-) Or being 30. Frankly - the three worse drivers I can think of off the top of my head is my 34 BIL who just got pulled over on a suspended license for DUI; a 28 yr old female who forgets that blinkers and brakes exist in her vehicle...everyone else is just a mind ready; and a 40-something who believes red lights and stop signs are "suggestions".

Discriminating against a particular age just because they are a certain age is wrong. Period.

HOWEVER - I believe EVERY driver should have to retake the full testing procedure every 10 year minimum and every 5 years starting at age 70. Under NO circumstances should Drivers licenses be renewable BY MAIL. Ugh.

Angela <><

Angela England
Parakeet
Parakeet
I am totally against an upper mandatory age limit on driving. For all the stories you hear about the older driver who has an accident, there are many more older ones who drive safely and are not afflicted with dementia in any way. You can't lump everyone over a certain together. Just as there are some people in their thiries who are irresponsible and act "old" so is it in all age groups.

You're talking ageism here when you say everyone must stop driving at a certain age.That is discrimination and unjustified.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
I don't think any RESPONSIBLE driver should have to give up their license. At a certain age, But maybe driving test after so many years.

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I agree completely with retaking a driver's test every X years. People forget things. Reminders would be good smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Insurance Guru 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.