logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
pegi #490512 02/02/09 11:36 PM
Pegi, It's frusterating for older people when their memories are questioned...ie, the date differeces. I too work with a senior. Here are my guidelines when I work with her.

1. Limit the visit, either in person or on the phone to 30 min or what she can do without getting to tired. Note the lenght of each visit, and when she starts to get upset, or drifting. This maybe a sign to either change topics to a lighter note, or to end the visit, as she maybe having a bad day, or not be well, or is tired.

2. Never question her memories, and always be polite. You are there to gather information from her. Now is not the time to judge what she is saying. Even if not correct, she still needs to be needed and to tell her "stories".

3. Take a recorder, or a note book with you. Let her chose a photo she wants to talk about.

4. If she will allow it, photograph the photoes you looked at together, or see if you can set up a cam-corder and tape the visit. You might even see if you could invite her on an outing to Walmart, as you want to give her a special gift. Tell her that she must bring the photoes that you talked about that day. Once @ Walmart, go to the photo department, and ask her to place her photoes, one at a time, on the photo scanner, walk her through coping them. Help her scan each of the photoes. when all are scanned, ask her which one is her favorite one. Help her print out a 5x7 of it, a copy of the scanned photoes, and a CD of all the photoes, if you want. Take and buy a 5x7 frame and help her put her favorite picture in it. Ask her nicely if you can keep the copies, or the CD for yourself, so you can treasure the day with her. If she wants the copies, and/or the Cd, make a second set so you can each have one. . Give all the originals back to her. Do not except any money from her. This is your contribution in preserving the photoes.

5. At the beginning and end of each visit, thank her for visiting with you. Ya might even send her a note of thanks after the visit.

6. At the end of each visit, ask to meet with her again, and set a time and keep it, or call if you can't.

7. Leave her with a question that you are interested in finding out more about next visit...such as What was a family tradition her family had around the holidays? What would she like her children to know about....? etc.. "Will she write down the address of her children, aunts, uncles, whomever you want. Respect her wishes and always thank her for what she does give you. Keep it friendly.

8. On the next visit ask her again the question you had told her you wanted to talk about next time. Keep doing this on each visit. Seniors sometimes need time to remember things, and by presenting the question you want to talk about the next week, it will give the time they need. It will also help them feel productive and needed.

9. See if she and you can have a phone conversation or meeting/lunch with any of her family or friends. Be sure to note their names, addresses & most importantly respect her wishes on these visits, Respect her feelings of what she will or won't share with you, or will or won't do with you. Ya might even ask her if you can copy her phone book into a larger print so she can see it better. From this, have her talk to you about each person, thus making it enjoyable for her. Ask her if you can write to some of the people in the book, or offer to help her write her letters to family and friends. Make your meetings a win-win. If this isn't possible, make it a win for her anyway.

10. Remember to have fun with this and her. Treat her with respect her age deserves, and give her the gift of feeling some one cares about her, her life, and that her photoes and stories are important. If the topic comes up, offer to digitize all of her photoes for her. You may even ask her to note in her will, that if her children do not want the photoes, that you would be honored to safe guard them for her.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I could not have said it better. Thanks
Tina

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Wow...thanks for all the great information. I recently asked my mom about a box of old photos that used to belong to my great grandma...I remembered going through them with her when I was young. Well it turned out that the box now belonged to my grandma and during the christmas holidays my mom and I went to see my grandma and we went through the box together. It was priceless, while my grandma couldn't remember who everyone was, she was able to determine who most of them were. We even found a picture of one of our grandfathers that was in the civil war! I'm going to try the deadfred website to see if someone out there can tell me who they might be. Thanks again.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I found a box of Christmas cards at my grandma's house a few years back. Of course, the envelopes with names and addresses from way back was great, but something more special was there. First, some history. I was born in 1961 the oldest of 8 children. I don't remember anytime being an only child as my brother was born almost immediately after me within the year, then the next, etc.

Back to the Christmas Card box. There was a beautiful Christmas Card in the box to my grandparents, signed

Marlow, Betty & Tina

Does not sound like much, but for some reason, it has meant the world to me, that card. I cried when I saw it. I am thinking about getting it framed...

Tina

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Tina, I know how you feel.

I remember going through photos that my Aunt had. There was one of a man in a car and he was identified on the back with the year but my Aunt couldn't figure out why that photo would have been saved. He was no relation to the family. When the WWI registrations went online I found my grandfather's card and it turned out he worked for this man. Then I found out that my Uncle (Aunt's and my mother's brother), who was deaf, was sent to a special school (we're talking about early 1900). The man in the photo made the arrangements for my Uncle to attend that school.

thank for sharing.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.