logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Does Trace Adkins newest video go too far? Check out the article and then let us know what you think!
Country Music � How far is too far?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
M
This isn't about being taken so seriously it is about the futher destruction of country music. This song/video is just another in a long line of "Murder On Music Row" The video/song is a prime example of what is wrong with country music. It's a shame that Trace is wasting his talent on this kind of tripe. He is capable of better songs.

Last edited by merlefan; 01/27/06 12:12 PM.
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
But doesn't country music have to evolve to be able to stay fresh? Look at all the people that hated Elvis when he came out and see how music evolved from there. There are those artists that are going to be traditionalists and there are those that are going to trying new things, isn't that what keeps new fans coming back?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if we keep country so traditional that we aren't going to be able to get the new fans in that are needed to make it viable. Shania, Garth and those that have had crossover hits have opened up a new fanbase for country and from what I have seen broadened the country music audience. It also seems to go in cycles, the traditionalists are on top then the artists that bring a new sound are on top.

M
M
Quote:
But doesn't country music have to evolve to be able to stay fresh? Look at all the people that hated Elvis when he came out and see how music evolved from there. There are those artists that are going to be traditionalists and there are those that are going to trying new things, isn't that what keeps new fans coming back?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if we keep country so traditional that we aren't going to be able to get the new fans in that are needed to make it viable. Shania, Garth and those that have had crossover hits have opened up a new fanbase for country and from what I have seen broadened the country music audience. It also seems to go in cycles, the traditionalists are on top then the artists that bring a new sound are on top.

There are plenty of artists that keep country fresh without ripping the roots out of the ground.

Yes songs like this bring in new fans but it drives more of the core fan base away.
Shaina and Garth may have brought fans to country music but the ones they brought didn't know what country music is to start with. Both are two the genre would have been better off without.
This songs and others like it aren't about the music it is about the sellout of county music. Not only that but this song degrades women.

Gecko
Gecko
I think if you look at the entire history of country music, Adkins isn't really doing a whole lot that hasn't been done before him. Old-time Appalachian songs are full of murders, stories of evil women, etc. There's a very old Cajun song that, translated, means "If you've got the hips for it, cut your dress short so it looks like a parasol".

People were mad because the Carter family was led by women. People were mad when Bill Monroe started playing Bluegrass instead of the more traditional old-time styles they were used to. People got mad when Elvis shook his hips and sang African American-influenced songs. People got mad when Loretta Lynn sang about "The Pill". Music keeps changing, that's what keeps it fresh. There are still plenty of traditionalists out there to hear, if that's what you prefer, and that's fine! Frankly, I'm not an Adkins fan myself.

Country music has also ALWAYS been directly influenced by the African-American music of the times (something no one seems to realize). The banjo is an African instrument. Old-Time and Cajun music use the African backbeat rhythms (which is why they sound different than English country songs, even if the melody and the lyrics are exactly the same). Country music in the early '90s was influenced by black R&B balladeers like Toni Braxton and Boyz II Men. Country videos, like Honky Tonk Badonkadonk, are clearly and unabashedly influenced by Rap videos. Again, things are always changing, but always in the same way.

However, to get riled up about it is a waste of people's time, I think, and is actually MORE of a disrespect to tradition than simply allowing things to evolve as they will.

That's just my $.02

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I love a good debate and ya'll have definately brought some good points to the table. I just happen to love the song, I love Trace's voice I just melt whenever I hear him. I like a good ballad, but the toe tappers are what I play when I'm driving or cleaning house.

Trace hasn't gone as far as Shania has, what I mean by that is to release 2 CD's..one acoustical and one more pop oriented, which I found a bit odd myself. But she has also been reported to have said that the songs she writes and records aren't songs about her, but songs that she thinks will sell to the crowd. Is that a bad thing? Isn't that what they are in the business to do?

I personally don't see how the song degrades women, it's set in a honkytonk where she is dancing. Guys look, girls look, it's human nature. Bands are there to get people on the dance floor, that was my take on the song anyway. No matter the debate, it keeps him in the forefront at the moment, which isn't a bad thing IMHO.

M
M
Quote:
I think if you look at the entire history of country music, Adkins isn't really doing a whole lot that hasn't been done before him. Old-time Appalachian songs are full of murders, stories of evil women, etc. There's a very old Cajun song that, translated, means "If you've got the hips for it, cut your dress short so it looks like a parasol".

People were mad because the Carter family was led by women. People were mad when Bill Monroe started playing Bluegrass instead of the more traditional old-time styles they were used to. People got mad when Elvis shook his hips and sang African American-influenced songs. People got mad when Loretta Lynn sang about "The Pill". Music keeps changing, that's what keeps it fresh. There are still plenty of traditionalists out there to hear, if that's what you prefer, and that's fine! Frankly, I'm not an Adkins fan myself.

Country music has also ALWAYS been directly influenced by the African-American music of the times (something no one seems to realize). The banjo is an African instrument. Old-Time and Cajun music use the African backbeat rhythms (which is why they sound different than English country songs, even if the melody and the lyrics are exactly the same). Country music in the early '90s was influenced by black R&B balladeers like Toni Braxton and Boyz II Men. Country videos, like Honky Tonk Badonkadonk, are clearly and unabashedly influenced by Rap videos. Again, things are always changing, but always in the same way.

However, to get riled up about it is a waste of people's time, I think, and is actually MORE of a disrespect to tradition than simply allowing things to evolve as they will.

That's just my $.02

Rap and Country should never be mixed. Not sure what influenced country in the 90's Alan Jackson is the only one that stands out from that decade. So you think Trace isn't doing anything that has been done before. Do you really think Hank Sr, Lefty Frizzell, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Cash Merle Haggard etc would have ever recorded a song and relased a video like this? I care deeply about the tradtions of country and to sit back and not say anything is more disrespectful. I find it funny you mention Elvis in a thread about country music He wasn't a country singer or even close to one. The Carter Family had 2 female members. A.P. his wife Sara, and sister-inlaw Mother Maybelle Carter were the members. Pehaps your thinking of Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters.
Bill Monroe is one of the founding fathers of bluegrass music.

Last edited by merlefan; 01/28/06 05:51 PM.
Gecko
Gecko
Mother Maybelle led the Carter Family. A.P. was the businessman behind it, but without Maybelle's singing and revolutionary guitar stylings, there would be no Carter family.

I realize who Bill Monroe is, thanks. I also know that he was booed regularly for playing his "new style" (bluegrass), instead of the "old style" (old-time). I also know a great story about the first time Bill Monroe heard the band Newgrass Revival.... he hated them, and told them so in front of a crowd of about 10,000 people. They were too forward moving for his taste.

No, Hank, Lefty, Ernest, Johnny, Merle, George Jones, Bob Wills, Gene Autry, Jim Reeves, Roy Acuff, etc. would not have made a video like this. First of all, there were no music videos back then. Secondly, there was no tradition yet of parading half-clothed women around ANYWHERE for them to follow. They broke grounds in tradition in THEIR time, though, that's my point.

No one says you have to listen to it. I'm one of the hardest-core country fans I know, and yet I don't watch CMT or GAC (except the show "On the Edge of Country). There are tons of great bands and artists out there still playing the good ol' stuff. Dwight Yoakam, Marty Stuart and Emmylou Harris come to mind, if you want mainstream. If you want sidestream, try Jim Lauderdale, John Prine, Robert Earl Keen, Buddy Miller, The Wilders, The Red Stick Ramblers, BR5-49, Kelly Willis, The Gourds, Railroad Earth, The Everybodyfields, Old School Freight Train, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Legendary Shack Shakers, Camper van Beethoven, James McMurtry and the Heartless Bastards, Susan Cowsill, Mary Gauthier, The Bluerunners, Calexico, Caitlin Cary and Thad Cockrell, Guy Clark, Fred Eaglesmith, The Tarbox Ramblers, Joe Ely, The JiMiller Band, Dale Watson, Southern Culture on the Skids, Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks, John Hiatt, Jimmie Dale Gilmore.... the list goes on and on. It's out there. Lots of it. You just have to know where to look.

Also, I'll thank you not to try to insult my knowledge of country music history.... I'm married to one of the most prominent alt.country/bluegrass/Cajun fiddle players in the world, this sort of thing is our breakfast conversation.... you should hear what we get into at dinner. Not trying to start a flame war or be rude, I just thought you should know that you're dealing with someone who knows her stuff.

M
M
You are right about Maybelle's Carter lick. A.P did write alot of the songs they sang. If it hadn't been for Ralph Peer I doubht they would have been discovered. Most of the hard core country fans I know don't watch cmt ,gac or listen to mainstream radio myself included. Most will stand up and say they don't like the kind of stuff Trace put out and where country is going. I do know where to look and listen to the real stuff. It isn't from Nashville. They have lost touch with the core fan base.

Gecko
Gecko
Right. I agree. The thing is, I don't care what Trace Adkins does because I haven't listened to a mainstream country station in years. An outraged friend showed me the video, and I couldn't understand why she was suddenly so mad about it.... it didn't appeal to me, but it didn't bother me. It's just another step in the direction that country's been heading for years. *shrug*. I just don't see the point in getting worked up about it. I'm a traditionalist, and I'm content enough to seek out what I want.... I don't need Nashville to tell me what I like. Seems like we're on the same page, after all!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.