logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eva Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
I'm just a little curious, I myself never really payed attention to gauge until I had about 3 years knitting experience and then I realized that you DO need it. Did anyone else take this long ?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
Years ago I got this terrific, funky teal yarn with flecks of pink and blue in it (it was the 80's!), and set out to knit a sweater that had these cool batwing sleeves. By the time I was done, the sweater literally stretched from end to end of my parent's massive coffee table with the cuffs hanging over the edge. And THAT'S the day I learned about gauge! That is the first and only sweater that I've ever completely finished, then completely unraveled.

Becky,
Avid Knitter and
Mom of 2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm one of those freaky people who seem to magically knit to gauge. After a long time of never checking gauge (assumptions make a you know what!)I whipped out my needles to work on a prayer shawl.

What an absolute mess! My gauge was much looser than the pattern called for, and I had a blanket!

Another stupid thing I did, was not pay attention to the dimensions of the shawl. I knit away, and away, and away- and when I checked back with the book, I could've died! My shawl was twice the size of the actual project.

Ever since then, I check gauge, except for when I'm knitting simple socks.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Quote:
Years ago I got this terrific, funky teal yarn with flecks of pink and blue in it (it was the 80's!), and set out to knit a sweater that had these cool batwing sleeves. By the time I was done, the sweater literally stretched from end to end of my parent's massive coffee table with the cuffs hanging over the edge. And THAT'S the day I learned about gauge! That is the first and only sweater that I've ever completely finished, then completely unraveled.

I learned to knit in 1980. I made a batwing sweater, out of bright orange yarn! I never wore it, it was too bright. I'm sure, it had some lousy finishing on it, but oh well. After that experience, I crocheted most of my sweaters, and knitted small items, like purses and blankets for my dog.

Ahh. The 80s. I have some "kimono style" shirts today. They're really a close cousin of the batwing sleeves!

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
When I learned to knit I was never talked to about gauge. Then many years later I self-taugh to crochet and then I discovered gauge when doing cabbage patch doll and barbie doll clothes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.