Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Wednesday of this week, Jan 18th 2006 Suzanne Wright of Autism Speaks will be a guest on The View. This is an ABC show that airs in Los Angeles from 10-11 am on channel 7.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/inthenews/view_suzanne_wright_alert.php

Autism Speaks Co-Founder Suzanne Wright will appear on ABC's Emmy Award-winning daytime talk show �The View� on Wednesday, Jan. 18, to discuss Autism Speaks' work to increase public awareness and raise funds to facilitate research, as well as the importance of early diagnosis.

Check here for your local time to see The View and/or tape it on Wed:

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
The segment was the last one and seemed very rushed and the information was sporadic. Nothing new and not really sure what the purpose was besides sending people to the Autism Speaks website.

It seems like some people are melodramatic about autism, and not this way about life threatening illnesses, cancer and diseases.

Do others see that the ones in the media discussing autism make it seem like such a dire life the child will have and something has to be done now before we lose the child.

Then people wonder why general folks don't understand autism since many describe it so differently, like it is the end of life for the family and suffering never stops.

I have never once cried over autism - maybe it is different if you have spent your life around disabilities.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Here is the transcript of the show for those that missed the air date:

http://www.autismspeaks.org/inthenews/view_suzanne_wright_transcript.php

AUTISM site
I saw the show and it was rushed.. but I guess their "Hot Topics" took top billing... Anywho......

B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Glad to know it was not only me that thought it was a rushed segment. Welcome to the site Lynn.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I got home after errands and put on ABC. I noticed this segment was on again, so maybe since the President was on this morning CA time at 7 am the show was pre-empted and they showed this repeat.

I wrote down two things she said that really bothered me

1. A community of hearbreak and sorrow.

2. Then we got this terrible diagnosis.

That really is an insult to those who have had the diagnosis and living for years. Then Barbara Walters was asking her what she wanted people to do at her website and she said first donate. Like why should we donate to their company when they are loaded and can get celebrities to events and pay instead of middle America.

I really found the segment in poor taste and not helpful at all to spreading Awareness. This woman acted like it was the freaking end of the world and at the very end of the show Barbara said that Suzanne wanted folks to think of autism in similar terms to AIDS.

I do not know too much about AIDS, but isn't that a terminal illness, unlike autism which is a life long disability.

I am going to remove myself from their mailings. I am not interested in anything they do.

AUTISM site

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.