logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
ladysox Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello. I am trying to make those terrific slippers that Grandma used to make us. I found the pattern at
http://www.yarns-and.com/fabrics/Phentex/PHEslipper.htm
but I haven't a clue how I am supposed to carry the wool when changing colors back and forth. I tried just "catching" the one color with the other but that doesn't seem like it will work as they will not be "Puffy"
Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks so very much!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hi. I have made these slippers a few times. I have made them using two colors, just the way the pattern shows. I have made the checkerboard ones, but the striped ones (as shown on your pattern are a little easier to make).
Lets say you are making them in two colors.....black and white. I would start by knitting two rows all black. (that kind of gives you a "sewing up" row when you are finished). You knit the first two rows and you are ready to start your third row. (oh, remember to keep your first and last stripe the same color. So when they are done, the same colors meet at the center top of the slipper - it just looks nicer when they are done).
So, you now have two rows of black knitted. Ready to start your third row. Take your white yarn, just lay it on top of the black yarn, so that when you make the first stitch in the black color, it will lock the white yarn at starting stitch. Then, let the white yarn hang and continue knitting six stitches with the black. Now, drop the black yarn, and knit the next six stitches with the white yarn. Just pick up the white and knit six stitches. Drop the white and pick up the black and knit six stitches with the black, etc. to the end of the row.

Next row. On this row the wrong side will be facing you.
You now take the white yarn, pull it over to the right, holding it around your left hand needle, until you make the first stitch with the black, it should lock it there once you make the first stitch with the black. Knit six black stitches. Take the white yarn in front of you and around your needle and make six stitches with the white color.
When you are working with the wrong side facing you......you are taking the yarn in front of you and around your needle to start your next color. When the right side is facing you, you just have to drop the yarn and pick it up for the next color. The important thing is the First Stitch on each row. You want to secure the second color at the first stitch of each row.

It is difficult to explain. It is much easier if you could see someone doing it. It might take a few tries - but I am sure you will be able to make them.
They are nice slippers and so comfortable.
After you make three or four pair.......You will never forget the little techniques. Let me know if I can explain anything further for you.
Good Luck. Greta

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.