When I passed the age of going Trick or Treating there was always the party to attend. If there was no party then the lights could be turned off in the house, a candel lit and tune the radio to stations that had a very spooky story on and let the imagination run wild. When I had my own family the fun was in showing my children how to make their own costumes. I dressed in my own costume and handed out the treats to the little ghouls and goblins that came to my door; I think I had more fun than the children did.
To me and my generation or, the children in my city, Children dressing in a scary costume was considered an act of defiance in the the face of all things that were evil. I too was surprised when I learned that some protestants did not celebrate All Souls day and thought it was evil, SORRY that thought and idea are WRONG.
From now until Thanksgiving, many of the children I knew had nothing to celebrate except getting our skates, sleds and hocky sticks ready for another tough winter of playing hard amidst the snow and ice. There was also the thought of throwing potatos into the bonfires that surrounded an outside skating rink. If we did not come home with a few scrapes and bruises our parents accused us of not playing hard enough. Halloween, the prelude to another good winter!

Robert F. Stachurski