logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
'Thirty years ago, the retiring head of the Merck pharmaceutical company (Henry Gadsden) told Fortune magazine that he was distressed that the market for his company�s drugs was limited to only sick people. If he could make drugs for healthy people, he would be able to �sell to everyone�. That dream is now coming true.'-Excerpt from Selling Sickness: How the World's Biggest Pharmaceutical Companies Are Turning Us All Into Patients-by Ray Moynihan and Allen Cassels

One would need live in a hole in the ground, on some far distant planet, to not realize what has transpired in this country, concerning prescription drugs, and their permeation of our society. Over half of Americans today, are taking prescription antidepressants. I would not argue that for many people, plagued by serious depression, drug therapy has proven invaluable. Yet, today, antidepressants are being handed out to help people manage common, ordinary life experiences, which may and possibly should be, handled un-medicated.

The recent lowering of the threshold for high cholesterol, in 2004 by a U.S. expert panel of nine members, (eight of the nine members were on drug company payrolls, according to Selling Sickness authors) has resulted in trebling the U.S. market for the new cholesterol-lowering drugs (statins), to 40 million (one in every four) adults. Excellent marketing of new drugs that have almost non-existent benefits for anyone without an existing heart condition! Why on earth would anyone desire to take prescription medication, when by merely following a healthy diet, and continuing to do some form of exercise daily, is what is called for, for most individuals? Yet, if attention is paid to the advertizing hype, one would be led to believe we should all be popping statins!

We've all seen the television ads, the ones wherein some prescription medication is presented, with absolutely no information concerning it, save for a voice-over urging us, 'Ask your doctor if it's right for you', or, some words to the effect of intimating our lives will be enhanced, if we merely pop this or that pill. A few nights ago, I caught a promo for the doctor/hospital televison drama, House, wherein an ill child asks the main character, a doctor, for a hug, stating it will make him (the doctor) feel good. The doctor character replies, 'There are pills for that.'

http://intouchwithjeannine.blogspot.com/

www.intouchwithjeannine.com

Last edited by JeannineEvelyn; 10/26/05 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
I totally agree that drug companies and doctors want us to pop a pill for everything! My husband was put on a cholesterol drug with cholesterol of about 220. After a year, it was still the same. About one year ago, someone told me to give him cinnamon (about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp a day) We started drinking a smoothie with cinnamon every morning. His last cholesterol was 159! The doctor refused to credit the cinnamon tho. My husband quit taking the drug as he didn't like using it anyway.

Every drug has a reaction in your body. Some harm your liver or some other vital organ. I know some need meds to survive but come on-they want us to pop a pill for everything. Look at all the people on depression meds these days.

Moderated by  Leah - BellaWellness Host 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.