logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213713 10/01/05 01:15 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I am looking for a pattern to make a bridal garter. At the moment I am playing with a ribbon insertion pattern from "The Lace Tatting Book" by Riego. I'm not sure that it will be suitable, though. Does anyone have any ideas, or a pattern I could use, please? Thanks. Marie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
You might find Gina Butler's Wedding Garter pattern helpful here.

http://members.cox.net/ginabea/tatting.html

I don't know much about making wedding garters but I do know that when the subject comes up on the tatting mailing list the general consensus is that most edgings are suitable for the purpose.

K
K
Marie,

Any pretty edging will do. Just be sure to measure the length where it will be worn, and if you are designing it to lay flat, add a little so it's easy to slip on and so there is some give due to muscles moving when the bride walks. You can design it to lay flat, but that takes careful measuring. The easiest thing is to make it long enough to ruffle up when it is gathered up. You choose how ruffled you want it to appear by how long you make it. This is easiest for adjusting the fit to the bride.

You can either weave pretty ribbon through the design, or add some hidden chains along the back to run the ribbon through. Then hand stitch some delicate elastic band behind the ribbon, using a thread that matches the ribbon color and type. Take care to lay the stitches along the grain of the ribbon so they blend into the material. Without that elastic, no matter how you tie the garter tension, when the bride starts walking, the garter will work its way down to her ankle!

NOTE: Be sure you measure the elastic properly and sew the elastic ends securely. If you don't join the ends securely to each other, the tension will pull in opposite directions at that spot and stress your lace. If you make the elastic too tight, you will cut circulation to the bride's foot. She doesn't need to limp down the aisle with a dead feeling foot, (no matter how funny that could be). When sewing the elastic to the ribbon, you have to adjust the "play" between the ribbon and the elastic as you go along so that the tension is even overall around the garter. When you are done, the relaxed garter looks rippled in your hand.

Most important, have the bride give it a test run in her hose and shoes. Make sure it matches and is the look she wants. Have her wear it a while and walk in it. Stomp, dance. See if it stays put or if her toes get numb. Sounds funny, but you really don't want a problem to show up on wedding day.

And...post a pic when you are done. Everyone would love to see how your finished project turns out.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks heaps for the helpful information. I have decided on a pattern (from an old book), which was originally intended as a hat band. I'll certainly post the finished result.

Marie

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.