Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213131 09/28/05 10:30 AM
Pegg Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I've spent a lot of time with my drum carder lately. I find it a great multi-tasking companion with canning. Luckily, I have a large kitchen table and can set up the carder on one end and the canning jars get the other. Both are far enough away from the stove to prevent any contamination. Today I'm rendering lard, another project that needs occasional attention and allows me time to card wool too. So it has my thoughts on this topic today.

About 2 years ago I sold my old Clemes and Clemes drum carder. That machine was a work horse and I'd had it for many years, but it was starting to show the wear and tear. After a long search (about 8 months) and trying several different brands, I settled on buying a Fricke/Strauch. I love this drum carder! The special teeth on the licker in drum are just wonderful. Even my super fine angora fibers don't get wrapped up on it. It just puts the wool on the large drum so slick.

I'm curious what other people are carding with and what they like/dislike about their machines. A friend has asked me to help her with her Louet next week and I've only carded on a Louet a couple of times. They are very different than other carders. Anyone got any handy tips for using one?

Pegg

Twin Willows Farm
Registered Border Leicester Sheep
Ossineke, Michigan
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#213132 09/29/05 04:52 PM
E
E
I bought my drum carder directly from Mr. Fricke. His best advice is to never try and feed in clumps. If you loosen the clumps and slightly draw them out holding a light tension on them as you feed in you can card anything on this carder. If you want a roving size or have a small amount of fiber you can card a small sectionin the middle of the carder and take it off ready to spin.

I use my carder for carding, mixing fiber to blend it evenly and making layered bats of multiple colors. I have tried many drum carders and this was the best in preparing fibers that I found. The Slicker Licker is great but do keep fingers back. One instant blood test will remind you well. I started out with a well teased romney fleece and watched carders add lumps and knots into it breaking the fibers. With the Fricke it lays it out flat, even and ready to spin. A lumpy fleece is ready to spin in only 2 to 3 passes. I have never needed more than 3 unless I am blending and it is such a joy to work with.

I bought mine before the brushes existed and I use a plastic vegetable brush from the brooms and brushes section of the store. As it starts to fluff I hold the brush on the drum and run it across while turning the drum and it does a beautiful job of compacting to a smooth dense batt. I have tried the brush sold for the carder but my vegetable brush can apply more pressure which I like.

I hope this helps. I could probable write a book on the benefits of this carder as I love using it.

#213133 11/06/05 03:35 PM
M
M
Of course I use a Van der Have Holland Drum Carder. with the 36 ppi it is very suitable for both fine and course fibers. It looks very good. More specs on the website www.vanderhaveholland.com. All over the world there have been sold a lot already. Please note priority shipping to the USA and Canada only USD 40.-
I card loads of Alpaca Fleece with it but it is also good for i.e. Veluws Heideschaap (very rough)
Monique

#213134 12/05/05 10:53 PM
S
S
I had a Louet drum carder for many years. I was not happy with this drumcarder. After searching for a drum carderfor the last few years Icame across a Strauch drum carder. I was at a spinning seminar. Otto Strauch was there with his carders. After talking to him and trying the "finest" I was sold. I had to have one of these carders. I recently bought one. I got the "Finest". It cards all of my fibers beautifully. No neps or broken fibers. I have llamas, pygoras and different types of sheep. I am so happy with this drum carder I know it will be the last one I will ever buy. I love using this carder!

#213135 01/03/06 10:54 AM
S
S
I am new at spinning and haven't purchased a carder as yet, so I'm eating up all this good advice. I'm so glad I found this website! Thanks.

#213136 01/12/06 10:20 AM
A
A
I also moved from a Louet to Fricke's Finest. I used the Louet Junior for about 4 years and liked it all right - Untill I tried the Fricke! I bought the 'Finest' from Otto at the Southeast Animal Fiber Festival (SAFF) and I have never been sorry. It's a pleasure to use. It is so solid and stable - I've never even clamped it to the table.

In fact I'd rather be carding than typing right now!

#213137 01/12/06 05:51 PM
I have a Kacoonda carder which I believe is an Australian brand, although I doubt it is still made. It was second hand when I bought it many years ago. I have no problems with it, and card alpaca and fleece, washed and unwashed. I often with read interest when people talk about the benefits of different carders. I want to start to use mine more as Deb Menz in her book Colour in Spinning suggests and use it as a colour blending tool. Up until now, it has had very basic use - just to card.

#213138 03/06/06 12:40 PM
J
J
I'm also new to spinning, and am having so much fun working at the wheel that I hate to have to stop and card more fleece! I expect to buy a drum carder soon, so this topic is great to see.

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm Alpacas, Fleece & Flowers
Steamburg, NY 14783
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.