Print Thread
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
How would you describe your understanding of diversity?

When I was young, I remember being fascinated by the 'hearty stew' concept replacing the 'melting pot' and then came the 'salad bar'!

In elementary school I know that there was at least one school where I had a classmate with a developmental disability, a boy who sat near me who always had an extra pencil when I needed one.

Halfway through the year our teacher chose six or eight of us who could go to the back of the room and work on special projects when we were finished with our classwork.

I wanted my friend with the extra pencil to join us, but was told that it took him longer to complete his work because he took his time reading and writing.

Later when I invited him to compete in the Spelling Bee I was momentarily interested in his explanation that he could not spell many words.

One very cold winter morning, I was trying very hard not to cry because my hands were so cold, and when I walked into our classroom he came right over and put my hands between his warm hands without saying a word.

At lunch time I told him I had missed a word in practice that I should have known how to spell, N-A-Z-I, but I spelled it N-A-U-T-S-Y and everyone else in the small group laughed at me. He told me 'Well, they are pretty mean." And at that time, I thought he was talking about the Nazis.

I think in kindergarten and maybe first grade, my son's classmates did not see him as particularly different, or any more different than each of them thought of themselves. I wonder if all children felt that being unique was ok, they would hold on to that truer view of others longer.

It bothers me that as parents we are often advised to make our children 'kindergarten ready' and later get them up to speed as much as possible so they will be able to do their best and reach their highest potential every day.

I think it might be better to give them every opportunity to be included and supported at school, and then they can develop talents and abilities that we might not know or guess they had, like their classmates.

Of course, I thought my son was very interested in science in kindergarten because the first thing he did was to go to the science corner and pick up a big magnifying glass. As it turns out, he does have an interest in science - but after he got his first pair of glasses, he did not carry around that magnifying glass every morning!

Is Diversity Like A New Box of Crayons?
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5144.asp

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I know when Michael started school, the main concern was for "the entire class". I guess with having just one teacher, he/she just doesn't have the resources to spend helping out a SNC. Of course as the mother of that SNC I was very upset! It seemed like SOME effort could be made to help Michael be part of the class, w/out resorting to sending him off. I was doing all I could w/ Dr.s, therapists, helping out in the classroom; it wasn't like I was an uninvolved mother.

Eventually Michael "fit in", partly because he adapted, but partly because some of the other boys grew intrigued by his differencs, and saw that they could be pluses! One of his friends even said, "Michael says some of the wildest things in class, but then they make sense!"

Michelle Taylor
Why me? What did I do to deserve this?
(go on, ask)
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
It did seem like many of the other students in my son's mainstream kindergarten class could read his mind rather than understand his speech. And in elementary school they seemed like telepathic co-conspirators.

One of those in second grade who was invited to my son's OT session on playground skills did give him a tip on tetherball that saved him from losing a tooth or other injury that happened to most of the other boys and a few of the girls during recess.

I did enjoy watching him and his sister play with two brothers during a visit to one of my parent ed class friends one summer day. The kids all had animal shaped 'squirt guns' that leaked a lot until my son showed them how to hold them upside down - the older brother gave him a grateful admiring look and shouted 'Thanks!'

Sometimes it takes a different way of seeing things to make improvements in everyday life.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
I read a wonderful article by Linda Moran about sharing information about children's special needs with their classmates, "Outing My Kids," that can be found at her web page, lindamoran.net.

I hope that families of mainstream classmates of children with special needs will read it and comment, too.

Outing My Kids
[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:04 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.