It's not often that I say this of my own countrypeople - but REALLY - how dense can you get?

In the last couple of weeks, there have been another 2 Aussies arrested in Bali on drugs charges.

The latest one, a model, has unfortunately confirmed all the stereotypes about models in the world.

Firstly she claimed that the 2 ecstacy tablets found in her bag (at a raided Rave) weren't hers.

Then she said that they were a friend's

Then she said (and this is the totally dumb statement) that she DIDN'T KNOW THAT HAVING DRUGS IN BALI WAS ILLEGAL!

At this point, I think that most Aussies lost all sympathy for her - especially since there was then a confession released , signed by both her and her lawyer, that she was a drug addict, had been getting treatment, and the drugs were hers.

This has since been challenged and she has sacked her Indonesian lawyer and said that statement was fake.

In Bali at present, all Australians are suspects for drugs. The Indonesians don't feel the sympathy for Schapelle Corby that is felt in Australia (as for the "Bali Nine" - well Australians generally want them strung up because it was blatantly obvious that they DID knowingly break the law) and our foreign office has actually come out and said that if any Australians are travelling to Bali, to not even take asprin with them!

The Indonesians are, rightly or wrongly, targeting Aussies coming into their country and all are checked for Drugs. An Aussie accent or passport is an automatic warning for them at present, and you will find yourself dogged and searched at any time. (this inforamtion from a friend who has just returned from Bali).

Illegal Drugs are just that - illegal. And what's illegal in Bali is also illegal in Australia.

Perhaps if Australia treated those charged with drug offences in Australia with the same severity as the Indonesians use, then perhaps Australians would finally get the message that ILLEGALL = NO!

Megan

Megan McConnell