Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Do you like food with your beer, or do you prefer the pure taste of the brew as a solo treat?

What is your most common food/beer combo? Is this also your "favorite" food/beer combination?

Carolyn, Beer & Brewing Editor
The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Okay, how about a charcoal roasted pig in a big ole Cajun microwave? That way, you can drink beer all day while the hawg is cookin! If you tell enough people, they'll all come with MORE food - Red Potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, maybe some special cheeses and gourmet mustards! Apple pie with Belgian Ale, or Heavenly Hash with Chocolate Stout...Hmmmmm....

Cheese - Definitely cheese! Something strong and sharp, paired with an intense, biting IPA or a malty Scottish Ale.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Schwarzbier is a grand accompaniment with spicy, blackened foods like Cajun Chicken or Mississippi Red Pork Chops. The rich, snappy bitterness and roasted espresso flavors have the power to absorb the heat of tongue-tingling foods.

Welcome with hot sausages, spiced ham or jambalaya dishes, these black beers also merge well with spicy luncheon meats like pastrami or corned beef on slabs of fresh-baked seeded rye or pumpernickel bread.

E
Koala
Koala
E
Ooh I love beer!

I used to drink it often (solo treat, as you say) after work - my hubby and I would swing by the pub after work, especially on a Thursday or Friday.

Now, however, I've tried to cut back a bit - especially since I noticed how flat my stomach became when I gave it up for a month before our wedding! I save it for weekends now and it has definitely become our Friday night pizza and beer treat. I cannot imagine pizza now without beer. Also, beer is a must with barbecues. And I also like it with pies.

Other than those specific beer-oriented foods, I tend to have wine with my meals.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Hot, hot Mexican food with Farmhouse Ale!

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I think a lot of people tend to drink wine with meals, as you do, elle CreatEd. The old phrase, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do," has us often doing what our group does, or what we have always done in the past, especially when we eat.

Over the Holidays this year, I made a conscious decision to drink styles of beer that would match all my meals - even when everyone else was drinking wine. No, I'm not turning into a beer snob - just doing an experiment. To my delight, I found that beer matched food on a more pleasing level, consistently. No wonder it has lasted thousands of years!

You can learn more about this in Garrett Oliver's book, "The Brewmaster's Table - Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food."

If you don't want to put in that effort, there are many brewpubs and breweries holding "Beer Dinners" now - those with multi-course meals that serve specific, selected beers with each course. Framboise (Lambic beer infused with fresh raspberries), for example, is wonderful with a rich, chocolate dessert.

Give it a try! You may be pleasantly surprised.

As for the "Beer Belly" that so many read about - I'm all about beer and health. Consistent exercise works!

Carolyn, Beer & Brewing Editor
The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

Gecko
Gecko
I have a hard time eating Asian, Caribbean, Cajun or Mexican food without beer. Once in awhile I'll drink gewurtztraminer with Asian food, but I much prefer the palatal feel of beer (versus wine) with spicy or heavily spiced food. I like to match my beer with the country/area of origin with my food. Dos Equis (never Corona, it makes me sick as a dog) with Mexican, Singha with Thai, Abita with Cajun, etc.

R
R
If I'm comparing beers or trying out a new brew, I prefer to go solo with it - I don't want to confuse the food flavors with the beer flavors. (Especially since I love spicy or strong flavors.) But I definitely love to have food and beer together! In fact, I usually think most foods just scream for a beer to go with them to really round things out properly. I think about the only kind of food I don't think of pairing with beer is probably Italian foods like pastas - I don't know whether it's just in my head that Italian food goes with wine, or if it's because I haven't had any Italian beers to see what I think of them.

Angie Rayfield
Classic Rock
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Moules and frites and a Unibroue Blanche de Chambly?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.