logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#199306 06/30/05 01:34 PM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
[color:"blue"] [/color] Forgive me in advance for this lengthy post. Two weeks ago I cleaned two of my bathrooms counters with a spray that contains bleach. Looking back I think I used too much but at the time I didn't think anything of it. But to this day (2 weeks later) I can still taste and smell the bleach if I do a certain breathing with my mouth closed (hard to explain). The point is that it's still there!! I'm not afraid to admit that I'm worried about this. I didn't throw up, but a few days ago I got a little diahrrea and I've had some stomach pains. Should I be worried!? Is it normal to still be smelling it?? I should also mention I'm a bit of a hypochondriac (sp?). I'd go to the doctor but my insurance recently expired? What do I do? Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#199307 07/07/05 06:10 PM
C
C
Hi. Kathryn, the Cleaning Editor here. You should be wary of overusing bleach. Bleach contains dioxins, which is a cancer-causing agent that is stored in fat cells (like the breast). It's very possible the strong odor is responsible for your stomach upset. My advice would be to wash down everything in the bathroom with water. Use two buckets, one with clean water and one with "dirty water." Take a sponge or cloth and soak up clean water and rinse the areas you covered with the bleach spray. Wring this out into the "dirty" water bucket. A thorough and repeated rinsing should get rid of most of the bleach and bleach smell. You should make sure a vent fan is on while you are working and keep a window open, if you have one there. Good luck!

#199308 07/08/05 02:10 AM
Elephant
Elephant
I have a very small bathroom in my apartment with not-the-best ventilation, and I use vinegar on the spots that tend to mildew as that kills it well and let's me skip the bleach fumes.

#199309 07/08/05 02:53 AM
Q
Amoeba
Amoeba
Q
I try to avoid using Chlorine Bleach when washing any clothing or textiles. Chlorine does kill bacteria but it also never completely comes out of clothes. If you have ever swam in an indoor pool, you know that no amount of washing will remove the odor of chlorine that clings to bathing suits. Over time, chlorine also causes the suits to deteriorate.

Thanks for the information about the cancer-causing dioxins. I am not at all surprised.

Chlorine is not, of course, the only bleach. There are oxy-cleaners and also products whose active ingredient is sodium perborate which can even take care of some mildew stains.

Best,

Pat, author of Straight Talk about Quilt Care
www.quiltersmuse.com

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.