Next Thread
Print Thread
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
David Beckham in tattoo fight!:-
London | June 27, 2005 2:39:35 PM IST

David Beckham is being sued by body artist Louis Molloy over the rights to his tattoos.
According to The Mirror, Molloy who created nine of Beckham's tattoos, claims he owns the copyright. He has threatened to sue Becks and wife Victoria if they go ahead with plans to use the images in an ad campaign.

He also revealed the couple tried to force him to sign a confidentiality agreement, but he refused. "They were under the impression that they owned those images but they don't. I was contacted recently and told they wanted to use some of them in a campaign. I said we'd have to draw up a licence agreement but then it got too complicated," Molloy said.

"So I said 'I own the copyright, they are my intellectual property, I drew them, I didn't copy them from other sources'.

They still think they're the owners of the images but if they use them without my permission I'd sue. There's no doubt about it," he added. (ANI)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
I guess to me it seems that the copyright should be yours (as the purchaser of the tattoo) if you basically commissioned the artist to create a "custom" tattoo just for you (unless contracted otherwise). I think that's the "work for hire" theory.

But - if an artist tattoos you with an image she designed herself, before ever meeting you, and especially if it's a tattoo the artist has tattooed on someone else, or created for the purpose of tattooing on many people (like if the artist creates her own flashes), then I'd think the artist should retain the copyright.

I was thinking about copyright issues and tattooing this past week, actually, when I saw someone with numerous Hello Kitties tattooed all over her arms. I'd be suprised if Sanyo gave her a license for those - but who knows!

Great article about this on your site, Rae!

Chris

Chris Franchetti Michaels, BeadJewelry.net
As a professional artist and designer I agree with Beckham that the artwork is his property. When a custom tattoo is commissioned just as any other piece of art would be, the time it takes to create the artwork is what is paid for unless specified. If the client wants exclusive rights then that must be negotiated seperately and purchased at a cost of what that design would make the artist over it's lifetime. Graphic artists work the same way, I went to have my business cards designed, they wanted $80 an hour for artwork and then if I wanted to purchase the logo it was $850. Why should tattoo art be any different?

Check out our work at
[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I did not hear about that when that happened. This is crazy, it is a tattoo on his own body so that artist wanting to copyright it is insane! Who won?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.