logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Our 10 year tried a sneaky way of trying to get one or the other but because I'm a game wiz I know that both of these handheld game is not for his age, my husband don't play games at all and don't know anything about them.......so he waited until he and his dad was alone out of the house and started asking for the game DS same maker of game boy advance...........my husband asked him if it was a learning game he lied and said yes.............just to see if his dad would get it for him........... handheld cost 149.99, you can chat with other game players, play games and much much more not for a age of a 10 year old.......so my husband told him let me ask tamla and see if she knows a little more about the game...........of course I did and explain everything to my husband and my husband told him no it's too advance for you............then he tired for the PSP handheld which is 300.00 saying it only play game.......which I know much better then that it play movies and much more....................my husband did his own research and found out even the seller of the game said no it's not for 10 years more for the age group of 17 year old and that same day my husband saw a teen playing with it and asked him about it.........he told my husband "I'm 18 and I have trouble understanding what everything do on the game and laugh and said your going to buy it for your 10 year old I would say no"

Love the life God gave you
[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
U
U
I would suggest the gameboy Advance SP. It's small, and simple to use, and has plenty of great games available for it.

I have a PSP, it's one of my favorite gagets. I got a new memory card for it. I put mp3's, pictures, videos on it. I even surf the web on it now and then. I'm 23. Some younger people get how to use technology more then others. Your 10 year old might be able to figure it out, but I would say it's still a bit too much for him (I would wait till at least 13)

Gecko
Gecko
"Our 10 year son wants a PSP and DS "

Tell him to BIH*

* buy it himself

Mind Flight Sonic Warriors free mp3's and hilarious movies involving swans by Robert P. Abelson "The field of statistics is misunderstood by ... Reviewer/1976:,
Peter Flom "statistical consultant" (New York, NY USA) - See ...
S
S
You might be surprised by what the DS has to offer. If you're in control of the games your son plays, then there's a number of fun, educational and intellectually stimulating games(such as Brain Age or My Word Coach). In terms of complexity, it can vary from game to game. Some require only the stylus to use and there are other perennial favorites like Mario, which are simple enough for ten year olds. There are some mature games, but they aren't the overwhelming majority and shouldn't be an issue unless your son is buying games on his own (even then, the staff are usually barred from selling any mature games to minors). The other features like picto chat don't work without another nearby DS, and to interact with the other DS, you would need to be looking for it. The chances of the feature being used with anyone besides a nearby friend are, in my experience, extremely low (unless you happen to be at a gaming convention). As long as you choose the right games, it has the potential to be a source of fun and even education. One might get the impression that it's only for older kids because of all the marketing directed towards them, but it definitely has the capability to cater to a ten year old's entertainment needs.

F
F
Yes! I agree with you.
Good luck!

Last edited by BellaOnline; 06/02/10 01:42 PM.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Last Christmas I got a my 2 granddaughters a Nintendo DS, I also bought them Educational games to play on it. So there having fun and learning also.

Rosie L
T
Shark
Shark
T
I have both a DS and a PSP. I think a DS is fine for a 10 year old and there are PLENTY of games for his age. Educational games as well. In fact, I just bought a Spanish Coach game for myself to help me with my Spanish learning. The only way he could connect to other people to chat over any kind of distance (outside his own house) would be if you set it up to do that. Same with PSP as far as I know. You would have to put in all your wireless stuff (password) for it to work etc. so unless he knows that, he would not be able to do that. I do think the PSP is aimed at an older audience, as their games tend to be more adult in theme.

Also, the PSP's in my area are, at the most, $200, and the $200 ones come with a game. Or you can get them without a game for like $169. Of course, you will still need a memory card to save your game on, so that is at least another $20.

Michelle
B
B
I bought my son a Ds for Christmas. He was using my daughter's old gameboy when he went on any long car trip.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
My 8 yo grandson has a DS loves it and plays it quite well. They have various games, puzzles, brainage games, search and seek, regular kids games, etc I think there is nothing wrong for a 10 yo to have a DS. Infact I own one myself. If you want tell him to save his money and pay for it himself. My BFF had to refuse her 14 yo dtr. things for years just because she did not have the money. She got caught stealing a coupling of weeks ago so my friend went thru her room and found out she hadbeen stealing for a very long time. If you refuse a child too much they will steal no matter how well you teach them so think about it

Sarah Redhawk
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
There are tons of educational games for the DS - it is very much made for young children. Just make sure you research each game you buy, so that you are buying appropriate games for his age group.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.