logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I think publicity has a lot to do with the popularity and famous aspect of art. I have seen some pretty horrendous things called "work of art" yet they receive so much publicity that they become famous after awhile - granted that type of art does not have the eternal quality of the Mona Lisa, The Last Supper and so many others, but popularity is brought about by advertising mostly and what the media thinks the people like. Popularity is sometimes a far cry from appreciation.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I have to agree with you Phyllis -- I think publicity has a lot to do with it sometimes. There's a real difference between something becoming famous because of its qualities and something becoming famous because advertisers are putting it in our faces. I don't know if it's a question of what the media thinks the people like as much as what the media likes or is paid to promote!

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Time is the surest test of the importance of a piece of art. Some things hold up over generations, and some wildly popular (or promoted) works fade away into oblivion pretty quickly. I remember going to the MOMA in New York about 25 years ago and seeing an exhibit of huge dark paintings all encrusted with broken cups and saucers. The artist was being made much of and his works were admired by the NYC art world. I thought they looked like something out of the local garbage dump. I wonder where those paintings are now, I sure haven't heard anything about them in years.

-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
A very astute observation, Claybird. Speaking of the test of time, I read somewhere that there is a real concern on the part of museum curators that many modern works of art won't withstand the test of time because of the materials they are using. Examples were given of works of art that are "shedding" onto the floors and seriously fading.

As an artist myself, I've always been concerned about the longevity of my paintings and choose my materials and process accordingly. Gee, maybe in a hundred years, I'll have a leg up on these other more popular artists after all!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I am happy that at least in modern times with photography and digital storage that we'll have images of these works that survive. Think of how we don't have any "real proof" of what the Last Supper looked like originally, except for other artists' painted versions of it!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I think digital storage is great, too. Just think of what it means not only for art history but just history in general. There is so much history that we're unsure of because of the destruction of documents over time.

Speaking of technology in art, I am also of the mind that some of the newer art products will have much greater longevity. Take acrylics, for example, over oils. There is nothing like oil paint for luminosity but I expect acrylics may be more durable in the long run. It appears that scientists haven't made any conclusions about this yet; I guess time will tell.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
One problem with storage in newer technologies is keeping up with the changes. Not long after the newest wrinkle comes available the means of reading the older ones become obsolete. That was brought out a few years ago when NPR had a project they called "Lost and Found Sound" where they asked people to send in interesting recordings of historic sounds. The troubles began when they had to try to transcribe sounds from old technologies like stenographic machines and penny arcade recordings which required players that no longer existed, or repairs that nobody knew how to make any more. And I understand that even things like files on DVDs can deteriorate and need to be refreshed every few years.
Its an interesting problem!

-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I see what you're saying, Claybird. Making the transition to newer technologies is critical to preserving the past. Back in the old days say, when 2001: A Space Odyssey was a high tech movie, people were expecting that tape drives would be the way of the future. That didn't last long!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.