logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
After two waves of Dostoeveki's influence on me, I started feeling bored and vexed by innaturalness of (I thought) everything in his books: language, feelings, appearences of the charachters, author's preachings, and the very narratives. Sorry to confess that all this came to me to stay.

Is this just me? I am very interested in opinions and here's what I managed to collect regarding 'The Idiot.'

The article is here:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29234.asp

Did you read 'The Idiot?'
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/28/05 08:57 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Tatiana Erochenko
Russian Culture
Biology
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
Tatiana,

Ofcourse I read the Duch translation of "Crime and Punishment", because I can't understand and read Russian.
But I think I do not aggree with you on Dostojevski.
For me he is one of the most inportant western and European writers,
next to my other favorite writers Franz Kafka and Herman Hesse.
Maybe I do not like so much the typical naturalism in Slavian literature
like so many Poles and Russians do.
Dostojevski writes a razor-sharp Proza, whith an exellent psychololgical description of the often frightening characters (like Raskalnikov "the murderer" and his interrogators), and the Russian (St.Petersburg) society of the 19th centurey. There is nearly some psycho-analitical content in his writing, before there was even Freud.
You have to see him in his time, and not in our days that we are overwhelemd by terrible information of the 20th century and the past before that. He wrote his novels in Zharist times in a country which was stil feudal. But in the Duch translation I was catched by the content and the atmosphere of the novel. In my fathers library there were also novels of Gogel which I read too. I loved The Overcoat and "St. Petersburg Stories" Both writers have a strange sort of irony or sarcasm, anyway a sort of Russian humor I can appreciate.
Nikolay (Vasilyevich) Gogol (1809-1852) influenced both Dostoevsky's
(1821-1881) and Kafka's(1883-1924) work.

Pieter

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Thank you Pieter! I suspected that things I stopped liking in Dostoevski's books can be seen differently upon translations.

I love Kafka and even more I love Hesse, especially The Glass Bead Game. Of course I highly appreciate "Steppenwolf" and "Siddhartha" -- but the "Game" is something I can use as a therapy, quite contrary to what I feel while reading Dostoevski.

Considering that reading Dostoevski influenced me so strong that I felt physically ill for days after, maybe my current attitude is just my body's reaction?

There's an excellent comparative analysis of Leo Tolstoi and Dostoevski by a Russian writer and publicist of late 1800s, Veresaev the parts titled correspondingly: "Live Life" and "Mankind is Doomed" -- this is exactly my view of them!

Tatiana Erochenko
Russian Culture
Biology

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.