logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Please feel free to share your worst experience with your's, or someone else's, table etiquette.

Which is the worst instance of bad table etiquette?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/17/05 05:16 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Okay, so I went to dinner with a group of friends, and after dinner was over and we were sipping coffee and talking about our lives, one of them grabbed their mirror from their purse, picked up their fork and commenced to picking their teeth right there at the table... with the fork. I was speechless... No, a better word is flabbergasted. Didn't their mom tell them, "Stop picking your teeth at the table". I mean, who does that?

Blowing your nose at the table with the cloth dinner napkin is pretty bad.

I also heard of a case where a guy died right at the table - his head just dropped down into his food. Pretty rude, isn't it?!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
All three are bad, but I can't handle the nose blowing. That is so nasty.

Shark
Shark
Blowing your nose at the table? A family member used to do this regularly -- especially at the end, as if to say 'Dinner is over! If you haven't eaten everything on your plate, forget it.' Or 'Because I can! Because you can't stop me. Because you don't have the guts to say it's not OK.'

This could be a family tradition, a custom honored always in the observance, never in the breach, or like 'We've been doing this for hundreds of years. It's what we do; its an expression who we are.'

Bad etiquette as a weapon -- a means of enforcing unwritten rules. (Can you dig it?)

-- Old news from Redneck City.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Well, if these would be instances of someone adhering to a family tradition, I'd hope they'd save it strictly for personal family gatherings.

Shark
Shark
I believe there was a serious, but possibly unconscious intention behind this, but I think it's also funny. My reaction was eventually to make a habit of eating alone in my room, a practice which continues to this day.

briareus

Well, I agree, all three are really bad.
I voted for loudly belching and not apologizing.
My sil used to do this but she did it on purpose!!! She thought it was funny to see who could belch the loudest. It was followed by extremely loud laughter.
She wasn't brought up to behave this way and neither was her husband (my dh's db)but he went along with it even though you could see in his eyes that he was uncomfortable.
I don't know if they still do this. These people, thankfully, are not a part of our lives anymore.

I concede your point, if things were different they wouldn't be the same. ~Author Unknown
Elephant
Elephant
In certain countries, it is still considered a compliment to the cook to belch at the table after the meal.

My pet peeve was the former bf who would fork a forkful of pasta into his mouth, but twirl the fork in his mouth to wind the dangling strands. The boyfriend before that was, in his own words, a "real Italian" and he would use the method of twirling the fork against a spoon while down on the plate. No matter what, I could not get bf#2 to utilize bf#1's technique.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Right belching is thought of as appropriate in many cultures. So it's interesting that we find it inappropriate.

I have to admit confusion on the nose-blowing issue. If your nose is running, do they actually expect you to get up and go to the bathroom every time you have to wipe it?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.