logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
There is a type of jewelry made in one of the Asian countries (not sure which one, Korea perhaps?) where they dip orchids in gold. They also dip another flower, although it escapes me what it is. The flowers are preserved that way and the jewelry is very pretty. Might be interesting reading a bit about that? I had bought a piece many years ago for my Mother-In-Law and it was very pretty and you could tell the orchid was perfect.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Thank you Cynthia and Nancy, I've put your suggestions on my "future articles" list! I am attempting to do one miniature each month as they seem popular with everyone now. And the idea of explaining the jewelry is great. I've already sent out some emails to get information. Look forward to seeing the articles!

Susan Taylor
BellaOnline Orchids Editor
#178683 03/07/06 08:19 PM
Hi,
1. I think I might have bugs in one of my orchids. I see very little, flying, in my bathroom and I think I saw 1 or 2 in my potting mix of my orchid. It has 2 blooms that look like they are drying out (almost ready to open) and it has about 5-6 buds starting.
2. I always seem to "kill" my leaves. The shiveral up, turn yellow/brown and rot until they fall off. I am sure I'm over watering, but I just don't seem to be able to get my watering done right.
3. I tried filling the tray with about 1/4-1/2" water, and when almost dry, adding more. That wasn't good.
I tried spritzing with water daily, and that didn't work.
I now am filling my bathtub with about 2 inches a water, and refreshing it weekly. I think that is working better. I have 3 Orchids sitting on a wire shelf across the tub. (we don't use it for bathing) BUT the one Orchid with possible bugs isn't sitting on the.
4. I tried pouring water over the pot/roots once a week and letting it run thru. That also didn't work also.
I have Pahiopedilum and Deliopedilums (I Think)
Jane

#178684 03/08/06 11:29 AM
S
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
1) On the little bugs flying around, these seem to get into any house plant I have. They're related to fruit flies and don't do any damage, but are a nuisance. They live in the potting soil or medium. You can spray with soap and water and if you can hit them, they will die. The problem is that they're so small it's hard to get the water on them.
2&3&4) Watering is one of the most challenging aspects of orchid growing. Once a week is usually enough for any plant in the house. I like to put the plant is water to just below the top of the pot, let soak about 5 minute and then allow to drain thoroughly before putting them back in place.
Paphs need more water than other orchids. Many people put the pot in a plastic saucer and keep a little water in the saucer so they won't dry out completely. They are particularly susceptible to salts, so be sure to use the suggestion above to flush out the plant each week.

Susan Taylor
#178685 03/09/06 01:18 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Can you grow them in the south, Memphis, TN area?

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
#178686 03/13/06 10:57 AM
S
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Yes, orchids can be grown almost anywhere. If you have a south window that would be best, but an east window will do. I'd recommend starting out with one from one of the big chain stores that are selling them at very resonable prices. Pick a plant that has at least one flower open so you can see what it looks like and a lot of buds so it will last a long time for you.

Susan Taylor
W
W
What about an article about some of the things happening at Orchids Online? www.orchidsonline.com.au.

See here a few words from the site

" Orchids Online is a site devoted to many things of interest to orchid growers and enthusiasts.
Right here on this site there are thousands of orchid photos and information pages (mostly species), a free to use Orchid Auction , Orchid Society lists, Orchid Nursery lists, Orchid specific RSS Feeds, and the opportunity to post your own orchid blog or photos to an online community that is growing rapidly and without doubt becoming the number 1 orchid blog site!"

I think you could probably find enough information here for an article or two Susan.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anu D - Orchids 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.