Print Thread
E
Eric N Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
http://lenta.ru/world/2005/01/27/ally/
(English translation follows the Russian article)

Американские студенты не могут принять СССР как союзника США
Большинство американцев не знают, что США и СССР были союзниками во время Второй мировой войны, сообщает РИА "Новости".

Об этом рассказал в интервью агентству профессор американской истории университета Калифорнии Майк Дэвис, который сделал такие выводы после бесед со своими студентами.

"Американцы никогда не хотели признавать роли Советской Армии, и когда я рассказываю, что СССР и США были союзниками, им трудно это понять и принять", - отметил историк.

"Американцы не могут осознать, какие огромные жертвы понесла армия СССР в Польше, Будапеште и Праге, даже когда немцы уже покинули их страну. Они не могут понять, сколько миллионов людей было спасено Красной Армией", - сказал профессор.

Дэвис отметил, что торжества по случаю 60-летия освобождения концлагеря Освенцим, - это, возможно, последний шанс отблагодарить советских солдат, участвовавших в тех событиях.

"Сердце сжимается, когда понимаешь, что это, наверное, одна из последних возможностей, когда мир может благодарить 70-80 летних, которые были 18-летними, когда были солдатами Красной Армии... Обычные русские солдаты, мужчины и женщины были частью величайшей армии-освободительницы в истории, несмотря на преступления сталинизма", - добавил он.

27 января в Освенциме пройдет церемония памяти, в которой примут участие главы многих государств, включая Россию и Польшу.

American students can not accept the USSR as an ally of the USA
The majority of Americans does not know that the USA and USSR were allies during World War II, reports RIA "Novosti".

This was discussed in an interview to the agency by a professor of American history at the University of California Mike Davis, who came to these conclusions after debates with his students.

"Americans never wanted to accept the role of the Soviet Army, and when I say that the USSR and USA were allies, it's difficult for them to understand and accept," said the historian.

"Americans can't understand such huge casualties carried by the Soviet Army in Poland, Budapest and Prague, even when the Germans had already left their country. They can't understand how many millions of people were saved by the Red Army," said the professor.

Davis answered that during the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp, it's possibly the last chance to give thanks to the Soviet soldiers taking part in these events.

"The heart breaks when you understand that this, probably, is one of the last opportunities when the word can thank those who are 70-80 years old, who were 18 years old as soldiers of the Red Army... Average Russian soldiers, men and women were a part of the greatest army - liberators in history, regardless of the crime of Stalinism," he stated.

27 January in Auschwitz will take place a ceremony of rememberance, in which many heads of state will take part, including Russia and Poland.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
<quote>
The heart breaks when you understand that this, probably, is one of the last opportunities when the word can thank those who are 70-80 years old, who were 18 years old as soldiers of the Red Army.
<unquote>

My mother is one of those "who are 70-80 years old," - in fact she's 85. And you know what? She's pretty indifferent to what the majority of Americans know or don't know about Russia's role in WWII. She know what she and a few her friends who are sill alive have done for the liberation of Russia.

She, being 1/4 German herself, still can't hear the sound of German speech, that's true. However, no hard feelings toward Americans. To her, all this "forgetfullness" is pretty much natural, just one of those human weaknesses.

Tatiana Erochenko
Russian Culture
Biology
E
Eric N Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
To me, especially when I am in the United States, it is extremely frustrating and even insulting how little Americans realize about the contributions, struggles, and sacrifices of the USSR, both military and civilian, during World War II. What also troubles me is that many do not realize that Hitler probably would have been able to win the war if it hadn't been for the Soviet victory. It was, after all, the Soviet flag that was raised over the Reichstag in Berlin once the city was liberated by the Red Army.

Even in St Petersburg today, there is such a respectful atmosphere towards those who served in the Red Army in World War II, and also about the 900-day blockade. It is very difficult for me to hear the stories of those who have survived the blockade, but I must listen to them nonetheless. Their story needs to be told, and it needs to be listened to. These people need to be truly respected.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Russians found Hitler, took down Berlin and saved us all from his hell. It is clear.

Our current administration, however, wants to make clear that 'WE' took down Hitler. Wow. Talk about revisionist history. Russians took down Hitler. 'We' contributed with D-day, but "We" didn't take Hitler "down".... eek

E
Eric N Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
It is interesting, isn't it? Just the other day I was having a conversation with someone who could not be made to believe that it was the Soviet army who entered Berlin first. This person was just absolutely convinced beyond all doubt it would have had to have been the Americans - no other choice would even be logical to this person!

Of course, with the U.S. perpetually at war now (and not very successful at it!!), it certainly does boost morale to make people think that the U.S. has a long history of winning wars. The U.S. may have been a victor in WWII, but was not the only responsible party, nor the primary one, in directly "taking Hitler down". Notice the administration doesn't want to mention Korea or Vietnam...

It is a dangerous combination when you combine traditional American ignorance about the world with a whetted appetite for "revisionist history". People can really be made to believe absolutely anything...

Amoeba
Amoeba
It's not limited to Americans. Same stories are being told to children in Swedish schools.

When my sons tell the true story -- one in the US to his college mates, another in Sweden to his high school (gymnasium) friends -- their listeners react depending to how much they trust to my boys, but always with surprise.

Interestingly enough, when we lived in Germany, we realized that people there did know what really happened. Our landlord, an aristocrat, a Graf, participated in WWII in Italy. His knowledge of history up to fine details was amazing and his opinion of different countries contribution was same as us Russians.

Tatiana Erochenko
Russian Culture
Biology

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.