Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#177224 12/24/04 09:13 AM
pieter Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#177225 12/26/04 07:15 PM
pieter Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I really got impressed by Russian art at the "Great Utopia" art exhibition in 1990 in the Stedelijk museum in Amsterdam which has paintings of Malevich and El Lissitzki. I was fascinated by Suprematism, because it was the first Geomaterical abstract painting, constructivist work, invented by Kazimir Malevich.
His famous "Black Square on White" had a great influence of my vision of Modern art and conept of abstact paintings. Toghether with "De Stijl" of Tho van Doesburg, Bart van der Leck and Mondriaan.
I think that these Duch painters were influenced by Malevich (in that time) radical paintings and esthetic theory. I also liked the revolutionary sculputers of Tatlin and the paintings of Il'ia Chashnik.

Wassily Kandinsky was another one who had a differant approach as his constructivist fellow artist.
Like his fellow Russian
El Lissitzky he became a teacher at the German Bauhaus school in Weimar. In his abstract paintings he tried to express the sound of music in colours. In his painting he wanted to create the same emotional power as a musical composition.
Like in later contemporary art these early twentiers tried to cross borders between disciplines.
I regard these Russian artists as much important for the development of Western Modern art as Kubism, Surealism and the American abstract "action painting"
or "Abstract expressionism". The conceptual and esthetic power of these abstact works were of great importance to me in my early development in the ninetees. In their naive belief in the bright future of Communist ideology and revolutionary changes in the Russian society, they were like the Italian Futurists, who saw in Italian Fascism a power of modern dynanism,
mechanism and speed.

Architecture, design, graphical art/typography, color theory and vision were combined in the differant forms of Russian constructivist art, from Malevich Suprematism to Lissitzky's PROUN. Some nice paintings, drawings, collages and sculptures came out of that. In many museums their work is preserved for the future. I saw their work in Amsterdam and the J.P, Getty center in LA. From a Russian friend from Amsterdam I received the book "The poet's visible voice" of Mikhail Guerman, Mayakovsky's verses published in two small books. Lazar (El) Lissitzky designed or rather constructed these books. Although I can't read Russian it is a typographic artwork, and great to have.

Lissitzky was trained in Darmstadt in Germany, at the department of Architecture of the famous high technical school of Darmstadt, a major centre where the foundations of the industrial aesthetics of early Constructivism were laid at the time. But Lissitzky did not became a fanatic of the doctrines incalculated there. Perceiving the book as a qualitively new object characteristic of a qualitatively new reality, Lissitzky discovered for it not merely a new form but also a basically new structure. He visualized the book of the future in the environment he himself and his fellow artists were creating, amidst new unconventional buildings, furniture and, of course, in the hands of new people. His artistic gift happily combined with his excellent knowledge of the technical possibilities inherent in civil enginering, polygraphy and photography. He was not afraid of machines as some 20th-century artists did. On the contrary, he intently examined his epoch, trying to catch in it glimpses of the future.

Pieter

#177226 12/27/04 02:13 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
I've posted a few images concerning Malevich paintings with links to some more:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27176.asp

I'll continue with Lissitzki, Kandinsky, etc.

Please people, write here about your preferences in arts or request information about Russian Artists and art styles.

Tatiana Erochenko
Russian Culture
Biology
#177227 12/27/04 08:32 PM
pieter Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Tatjana,

Well done, thank you!
Interesting images!
It is so said that great artists suffered
under those Stalinist and Nazi opression
in the East and the West.
A lot of work was destroyed or stolen
and sold. Many artists suffered under
depressions.
It is a shame how Malevich died,
while he was a great artist.
I am looking forward to see your
Lissitzki and Kandinsky articles
or images.
Sometimes I find it hard to find good images.
Reproductions in books are often bigger and
more detailed than the webimages.

What are really good contemporay Russian
artists?

Pieter

#177228 01/15/05 07:29 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Here we go:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27774.asp

An article and resources about Lissitzki. Enjoy!

Tatiana Erochenko
Russian Culture
Biology

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.