logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#176296 08/09/04 07:16 PM
ChrisR Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband's grown son is a nice, hardworking kid who just finished his Masters degree and is going into the Navy as a Chaplain next month. He lives in another state. During the interim wait, he quit his job, left his apartment, and will be staying with us for a month.

This sounds petty, but I spent a week fixing up and arranging the spare bedroom - painted, cleaned carpets, etc. I arranged the room so he has storage shelves in the closet, and used a bookcase behind the bed so he had a place for a reading lamp and books/radio, etc.

I was surprised that he immediately rearranged the room, pulling out the bookshelf. He explained later that he needed the room, but upon looking over his things, it appears more like he was utilizing his available space poorly, not that he needed the room. At any rate, if I were a guest somewhere, I wouldn't think of rearranging furniture in the host's guest bedroom, and I must admit, it bothered me that he did it without asking permission.

I don't intend to say anything - like I said, he's a good kid and I'll let it pass since it's not a long-term arrangement - but I just wanted to check my impressions with others - Is rearranging furniture in your host's guest bedroom okay if you are the guest?

Thanks for any and all replys!

--
carma54@mac.com

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." -- John Muir
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#176297 08/10/04 09:23 AM
Shark
Shark
I completely understand how you feel. And I think that if he were staying only a few days, then he shouldn't have moved the furniture. But since he's staying for the month, it's okay to allow him to be comfortable in his designated space.

Just make sure to let him know that although you don't mind him changing the room, you want it back the way it was when he first arrived before he leaves, since that would be the considerate thing to do.

Since he's family, I wouldn't stress about it much. But I do think you are right: he should have asked you first.

<b>Anyone else have similar/different thoughts????</b>

#176298 08/10/04 10:39 AM
ChrisR Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Kennie, for the validation! My husband feels honor-bound to excuse his any rude behavior his family exhibits, unless it affects him directly. Which leaves me, at times, doubting my own perceptions. I appreciate your input.

--
carma54@mac.com

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." -- John Muir
#176299 12/31/04 10:20 PM
I agree with Ms. Brown. There was a time where I was staying with my father for an undetermined duration (understood to be a month or more) and I was given the guest room. While I did not move the furniture around, I would have probably asked before I would have.

-D. Alexander

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.