logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#176116 08/25/04 08:06 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I was wondering if anyone had any views or tips on the value of back cracking, having just been in a car accident in February, I often feel the need to have it done, but I wonder if it will even help.

Wendy

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#176117 08/27/04 10:48 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Wendy, I have lived with a back injury for almost 25 years and have found back cracking to be very good. I usually do it in a straight back chair and turn gently to each side until the it pops...sometimes 2 or 3 times. I have found that there are times when I can not "pop" my back or neck, and that usually indicates that I have some inflamation in the joints. Some kind of pain reliever or anti-inflammatory (like tylenol) for a few days helps. I think that popping is really good to keep things aligned. I had to see a chiropractor for almost a year to learn how to take care of myself with heat and manipulation to avoid surgery. I am still glad that I went that route! A person is never the same after surgery, but many doctors think that is the only way to deal with a problem that lingers. I believe a person will be much better off learning how to deal with an injury, if the pain can be managed, rather than being too aggressive on treatments.
Although chiropractors get a bad rap sometimes, they really can help a person get their body back in alignment. Look at yourself in the mirror without too much clothing. Look to see if your shoulders are even, if your head if tilted, if you lean one way. When you have pain, you tend to favor the area (unknowingly) which causes your body to draw up to protect the area. This causes misalignment, when in turn causes muscle spasms, which then causes pain in the bones and joints. I don't know if you have experienced any of these things since your accident, but I did and it took many doctors before I learned these simple steps that I could do...You know the reason a "pop" happens is because gas has built up between the bones and is released when flexed? It does not cause arthritis, as we were told as kids when popping our knuckles. Usually it means that a person might already have arthritis or be prone to arthritis, but it is very possible to help control effects through exercise (as simply as stretching...which can be like back popping). I hope this makes you feel better. I still do most everything that I did 25 years ago, gardening, biking, swimming, etc...just sometimes I have to pamper myself if I overdo it. Good Luck!

#176118 08/27/04 09:29 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Hi Wendy and Babyquaker!

Babyquaker, thanks so much for posting! You've taught me somethings and I'm glad you stopped in to help Wendy. I actually don't have a lot of clinical experience with backpopping. I am a dancer and so friends of mine in my company often crack each others' backs and I know I am constantly stretching, which tends to "pop" my neck and back. I know that I always feel relieved from it and have not to this date experienced anything ill from it.

Thanks again Babyquaker for your informative post! I hope it has helped Wendy!

Take care u 2!

Leah :music:

Live Abundantly!
Leah R. Patterson
The Wellness Site MOVE Makeup
Visit my Personal Blog
#176119 08/28/04 05:42 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi, Leah (and Wendy)! I'm glad to hear from you, Leah, and hope the info I gave does help you, Wendy. It's cool that you are a dancer...I know stretching is really a great way to keep you limber. I think it is also the best way to crack or "pop" joints. I guess that is what Wendy was talking about. I'm glad I had some new info for you, Leah. I don't have any clinical experience either, just personal experience. It's amazing what you can pick up being around doctors who treat disabilities. u take care 2!

#176120 08/28/04 06:28 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Quacker and Leah, Thank you both for affirming my beliefs. Not that I really needed it but its always nice to hear that someone else does it too.
I do know that I favor my left arm, have ever since I first pulled my traps in winter of 01. My masuesse, Stephanie, has been incredibly helpful, I repeat her stretches and manuvers at home including taking nearly intolerable hot showers before bed and perhaps some ibuprofen on really bad days.
Sometimes tho, it just doesn't feel like enough. But I also know that I will never be the same person that was before and must least best how to get 'there'

x0x Wendy

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

#176121 08/28/04 07:44 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Wendy, although massage DOES feel good, it doesn't really cure the problem unless there are some physical modifications that are done as well. Have you had physical therapy or been seen by a chiropractor? Both of those really helped me. Some things hurt more than helped, however, like traction. I could hardly bend over after those treatments! Hot packs and massage felt good but I just wasn't getting any better until I started seeing a chiropractor (which was almost a year after I was injured). It took quite a few months of seeing him before I started noticing any difference.
I was injured at work and my employers' workman's comp insurance wanted me to just have surgery. They did not think I was seeing a REAL doctor. The state board disagreed with them and I saw him until 2 things happend. I got well enough (or as well as I was going to get) to be able to do the manipulations myself and I learned that I had to live with it.
You are right about never being the same person - Physically - but you will always be the same person emotionally and spiritually. It is a hard adjustment though to accept the fact that your body has changed, or rather BEEN changed because of an accident. You sound like you are already ahead of me since you realize that you've got to accept the pain and learn how to live with it. I wish you luck in finding the best way to handle your pain. Just don't give up, but you might need to occasionally use something more than ibuprofen.
Best wishes! Trish...AKA ..babyquacker because I found this site while researching Mallards. I had a mama duck nesting in my flower bed and I was anticipating the babies. I used to talk "quackers" with the mama when I put corn and water out for her. She would actually come to me for food when I quacked for her. It was great!
Again, I wish you luck in your pain management. I'm here if you have any questions. You are NOT alone.

Moderated by  Leah - BellaWellness Host 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.