logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#176107 07/11/04 02:27 PM
OP Offline
hi folks,

I have suffered this condition all my life. Sometimes it's very bad in that I find it difficult to go out in malls/shopping/driving on the freeway etc. it's that trapped feeling

I know that this is all in my head and have been in remission off and on. It's been pretty bad since last Nov an

I am educated in deep breathing, relaxation progression, cognitive thinking etc etc etc..but...when it seem that freight train is rolling down the tracks about to hit you it all goes down the drain.

I've been drinking coffee... the more I drink the worse it is... so it's off coffee forever now...

any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. sometimes it feels like its a prison im in and its ruining my freedom.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#176108 07/12/04 02:21 PM
WEST COAST MAY,
GOSH, I THOUGHT THAT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON THAT SUFFERED FROM THIS DREADFUL CONDITION, I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU SOMETHING, WHEN YOU ARE SITTING DO YOU START TO SQUIRM AROUND AND FEEL LIKE YOUR HOLD BODY IS INSTANTLY PULLING AND YOU GET UP MOVE TO ANOTHER POSITION, HELPS FOR A FEW MINUTES BUT THEN IT STARTS AGAIN. MY ONLY RESOLVE IS TO HEAD TO BED, SOMETIMES THAT WON'T EVEN WORK, I HAVE A TERRIBLE TIME AT THE MOVIES AND YOUR RIGHT, SHOPPING AND ETC, I HATE THIS FEELING AND ALSO HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH THIS FOR YEARS. FOR ABOUT TEN YEARS, IT SORT OF WENT AWAY, THAT WAS WHEN I WASN'T MARRIED AND WAS ON MY OWN, MAYBE THAT IS THE TRICK.

#176109 07/12/04 08:36 PM
OP Offline
Hi Ohmyohme,

You are not the only person, one of out 10 will suffer anxiety/panic at sometime in their lives. if you do a web search you will find tons of info. i was treated once with anti depressants and it completely disappeared. they told me it was a chemical imbalance in the brain... there are many symptoms... deep breathing and relaxation helps alot it puts you back into control i'm considering the antidepressants again if stopping the coffee completely doesnt work. do you drink alot of caffiene?

#176110 07/12/04 08:36 PM
OP Offline
Hi Ohmyohme,

You are not the only person, one of out 10 will suffer anxiety/panic at sometime in their lives. if you do a web search you will find tons of info. i was treated once with anti depressants and it completely disappeared. they told me it was a chemical imbalance in the brain... there are many symptoms... deep breathing and relaxation helps alot it puts you back into control i'm considering the antidepressants again if stopping the coffee completely doesnt work. do you drink alot of caffiene?

#176111 07/12/04 11:22 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Hi West Coast May and Ohmyohme,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and asking this question. I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder as well and like you both have expressed, sometimes the snowball effect is just horrible to deal with, especially trying to bring yourself out of it once the snowball's "landed" on you.

The deep breathing and relaxation really help me too West Coast, but like you might be feeling, once I got a handle on these techniques I began to feel like they were not really helping me free myself of the anxiety attacks all together. I wanted to try to understand where they were even coming from in the first place.

Two things have really helped me to gain what I think is a healthy control over my tendency towards anxiety. One is counseling. Counseling helped me to start looking at the underlying reasons for the anxiety, which for me stemmed back to childhood. Two is reading the book " Soul Without Shame " which helped me identify the "Judge", the voice inside my head that, whenever it shows up causes me some type of anxiety, whether good or bad.

I still get anxiety attacks and some days and weeks are much better than others, but I am much better at being aware of what's going on, even when I can't stop myself from reacting according to my old patterns, i.e. becoming paralyzed by the anxiety and panic.

One thing that you might try is writing out an anxiety plan for yourself, i.e. what you are going to do when you feel the anxiety coming on. This has helped me immensely because when I'm in the throws of the anxiety attack, I almost on automatic pilot fall into my anxiety plan. By the time I get through all my steps, most times, I'm able to come down from the attack with out too much of a problem.

I hope these things help! Hugs of courage-giving energy to you both:)!

Leah :music:

P.S.
I'm sure the caffiene is having an ill effect because it's a natural stimulant. Over stimulation doesn't allow you to move into periods of reflection so you rarely get to validate yourself from within which leaves you subconsciously open to being swayed by other people's and your own judge's judgements which can definitely lead to anxiety.

Live Abundantly!
Leah R. Patterson
The Wellness Site MOVE Makeup
Visit my Personal Blog
#176112 07/16/04 08:23 PM
OP Offline
Hi Leah,

Thanks for the reply. I just returned from a mini-vacation to the mountains and lake in our RV and am feeling pretty good.
I run a business so the stress level gets high at times.
Caffiene leaves me shakey, heart racing, etc etc. The anxiety is the fear of my own physical feelings out of control.

I will check out the book you pointed out.

TX
WCM

#176113 10/13/05 02:06 PM
S
S
Sorry to hear so many people have stress and anxiety. I actually had a huge panic attack last night in a restaurant with my spouse. I started to perspire like crazy and I started losing the feeling in my hands - I thought I was having a heart attack! I almost fainted. We went home immediately and I felt better. I usually get very stressed and scared when we are about to fly so I take StressEez (sp?) which helps a lot but last night was something I never experinced before. It was a scary.

#176114 10/16/05 10:54 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Hey Stephanie! I'm glad you got through that attack! There's an article in the Wellness Archives that talks about relieving yourself of anxiety and panic attacks. I wanted to give you the link in case it might be useful:).

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art23240.asp

Take care of yourself!

Leah

Live Abundantly!
Leah R. Patterson
The Wellness Site MOVE Makeup
Visit my Personal Blog
#176115 10/16/05 11:23 PM
S
S
Thank you so much. I will definately try it. I think I had a panic attack because I am having a minor medical problem and it really bothered me while I was eating and so the panic started...

Moderated by  Leah - BellaWellness Host 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.