logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#174018 02/22/04 02:48 PM
OP Offline
I would like to here from African American crafters. What are you making, whats the market like for Afrocentric items? What types of things are you making.

I have searched high and low, can't seem to find much on the internet. Where are you guys? I would love to exchange ideas and develope swaps as well.

Part of our culture was creating what we needed and wanted from what we found around us.

Today the creating is simply for the fun and pleasure of working with my hands in conjunction with my mind.

Sharon, Illinois.

Crafting is a good thing.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#174019 02/22/04 03:01 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Hi Sharon!

The area where I live has a high Latino population, so I'd guess the market in my area isn't very good. In fact, there was an African shop just up the street from me which has gone out of business. Too bad. It had just about everything - food, clothes, beauty products, crafts, etc.

Crafting has sort of become a big business. The supplies can cost a lot of money. Sometimes I really have to give a lot of thought to what I want to make because of the cost involved.

What types of crafts are you working on?

#174020 02/22/04 05:18 PM
OP Offline
Hi back at ya!

Don't have any good shops in my neck of the woods either. I won"t do consignment, did that once but, the shop have so much stuff in them you couldn't see what you were looking at. Did quite a few shows but, that gets kinda tireing packing and unpacking. Then the people who come to the shows don't stop to see what you have. Now what I do is when I make things I give them to friends who in turn tell their friends who call for private showings, I like that much better. I have a three bedroom apartment, one of the bedrooms is my office. My livingroom area is my workshop, no room for a couch in there.

As for suplies I buy most of them at resale shops, flea markets, and yard sales. Crafters are always buying more then they need or buy things and never use them. I get bags and boxes of fabrics, craft papers, wood peices, tools, baskets, jars, tins, etc. Oh yes stationary places that sell discontinued items at a steal.

The small bottles I buy for my oils I get from www.sciplus.com Two to three dollars for 10 to 15 bottles. I also use these small bottles for necklaces that I put tiny notes and beads in. Check them out, go online and order their catalog, it's free.

I make wall hangings on anything that is large enough to be a substantial peice of art work. My last hanging I used acustic ceiling tiles, light weight and easy to work with.

If cowrie shells were still used for money I would be rich. Everytime I see them I get them for .50 to a 1.00 a string full. Once I bought a cowrie shell hanging pot holder. Therewere hundreds there. I'm still useing them, and still buying them too.

Went to a yard sale and bought 11 large burlap bags for 4.00. Also the garden department has rolls of burlap cheap, as well as large rolls of brown craft paper used as drop paper by painters, 6.00. I make my own gift bags and wall hangings that. Cancas drop cloth for painted floor cloths, 10.00.

Craft suplies are well over priced, you just have to look elsewhere and substitute that same item.

I have webtv and make good looking stationary, tags and labels for my crafts.

All in all I know how to cut corners by cutting out the middle man.

Sharon,Illinois

Crafting is a good thing.
#174021 02/22/04 07:57 PM
Gecko
Gecko
WOW! You are VERY crafty! I also get things at yard sales - usually baskets for gift baskets. I've been able to get them as cheap as 5 cents a basket. Your are right about raft items at yard sales - although around here people are trying to get top dollar for them.

As for craft fairs - the packing & unpacking is definitely a pain.

Next time I see a hanging plant holder made of shells, I think of you!

Moderated by  African Dawn 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.