logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
One of the joys of cooking regional cuisine is learning the history and traditions behind time-tested recipes. I thought you'd enjoy knowing why Monday was traditionally Red Beans and Rice Day in New Orleans.

Monday was, traditionally, clothes washing day in New Orleans (as well as in many other areas). Clothes washing was done in tubs, outside, by hand, with water you heated yourself. The housewise was, understandably, tired out from this effort, yet she still had to provide dinner for her family.

Red Beans and Rice was the answer...it required some attention, but not a lot. It could be cooked in stages (cook and soak the beans right after breakfast, start simmering in the early afternoon) and it could be reheated and still taste delicious. And, as an extra added bonus, they used the bone from the ham that was a traditional part of Sunday dinner...nothing ever went to waste!

Restaurants in the New Orleans area continue that tradition by offering Red Beans and Rice on their menu every Monday.

Today's busy homemakers can adopt this tradition, too, by cooking and soaking the beans on Sunday night, and by finishing the rest of this recipe in their crock pot.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
we have a different tradition. i cook beans and stews on sunday. it's also my laundry and cleaning day. sunday is the day that we are home.

OP Offline
Thanks for sharing your tradition!

R and I have a Sunday brunch tradition, which rotates from week to week, in this order: popovers with poached eggs, have brunch at a restaurant, eggs sardou, and omlettes (R cooks them!).

My father is Italian, and growing up, we had pasta every Sunday. Saturday was "cleaning and laundry day" and we usually had a soup or stew.

Anyone else have any food traditions?

XLady, what kinds of beans and stews do you make?

Red Beans: I usually don't add meat so my beans are an excellent frugal meal. From time to time I will add sausage when I find it on sale.

White beans: I really prefer these with a bit of salt meat but such a thing can not be found in Mississippi so we go without.

As for stews: beef and chicken.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.