logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
This amazing story was in today's edition of the newsletter I received from the Kortright Conservation Centre, just north of Toronto [GTA is the Greater Toronto Area]. It's what we in the field call a *teachable moment*, lol, truly unforgettable! :love: :

Quote:
Class Sees Bambi

Toronto and Region Conservation provides almost 100 different and unique programs to school classes throughout the GTA. These are offered in the out-of-doors and come designed to fit the curriculum requirements of the visiting classroom teacher. But, once in a while, some lucky class gets a taste of environmental education that is completely unscripted, unrehearsed and absolutely memorable.

Such an event occurred last week when a grade four class from Derry Down Public School visited Kortright. The 25 students were enrolled in the popular "Habitats and Communities" program. It was a particularly hot steamy day so their guide thoughtfully was giving them a break from the heat by passing through the deeply-shaded cool of the sugar bush. Almost at the top of the hill, six feet to the right of the path they discovered a fawn. The excitement spread down the line of students and they quietly and slowly crept forward for a better look. The whole class intuitively formed a semi-circle eight feet from the fawn and stood like statues.

The fawn must have been warned by its mother not to move because it lay there in the dead leaves of the forest floor, stiffly, hardly taking a breath.
Every student looked in the big brown eyes of that fawn and the fawn looked back.

Three minutes passed and the fawn slowly stretched to its feet and calmly walked away under the maple syrup lines into the forest. The students didn't move until it was completely out of sight.

What a great report those students will be able to make about their field trip to the Kortright Centre. I wonder how many of them will be encouraged to learn a little more about White-tailed Deer in Ontario? Which ones will become advocates for the environment because of that look they got from the fawn?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shelley, I loved the final comments at the end of the article. Who knows what will touch a child so much that it leaves a lasting impression. Sometimes it's an event like this, bold and full of beauty, but sometimes it can be something totally insignificant to anyone else. The world is an amazing place, it's we poor humans who see so little of it that scare me.

Marian

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.