Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mad cow was first diagnosed in North America in Alberta Canada in May of this year and now it has been found in a Washington state cow. Samples have been sent overseas for further testing, which may take about a week.

Japan almost instantly placed a ban on imported beef from the United States. South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia quickly followed suit.

Scientists say that you cannot get mad cow disease by eating muscle meat or drinking milk. You have to eat tissues such as beef brain to be infected.

This is NOT, according to the media, an act of terrorism. (I think that if every bad thing that happens gets blamed on terrorism, then the terrorists have already won.)

If you'd like to read more about mad cow disease, there is a free downloadable .pdf book available. Download it here. This free book is a one sided arguement and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of BellaOnline.

Marian

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Well this is not good news for the American ranchers and on up the chain. I hope the rest of the story shows this to be an isolated case. But I would have my doubts.

Thanks for posting Marian.

Rose

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Sadly, the one case found in Alberta WAS an isolated case and even after much testing for months afterwards, not one other case was ever detected or discovered. Still, the amount of damage it caused in the industry (I should say, INDUSTRIES), was devastating. Farming, meat processing, restaurants, export, the list goes on and on. People are just (justifiably) scared when it comes to anything that is so potentially a danger to their immediate health. Case in point, the tainted water tragedy here in Ontario of a few years ago, when 7 people died in one town due to e-coli in the water. Hundreds of others became ill and to this day, have lingering related health problems. It caused a HUGE scandal and overhaul of the way water filtration systems are inspected etc. Anything like this, and the mad cow scare, has such a ripple effect in so many directions. It's like that proverbial picture of the domino tiles, all leaning against one another and it takes just one little tap to set the entire chain toppling...

That said, and although this is not a pleasant thing happening in the States right now, I am glad that they are on it right away, and not trying to be secretive about it. Better to be proactive, safe than sorry....If it amounts to nothing, all the better...

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Right now they have two petitions and I signed them both. Thanks for first posting this Marian!

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.