logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152129 09/30/03 08:02 PM
OP Offline
Today when I came home from work, there were 22 Canada geese and a great blue heron on our pond. The heron has been frequenting our place for the past week. Today he hung out at the edge of the pond along the dam while the geese surrounded him. The later I looked out and they were all on the opposite side of the pond, and Mr. Heron (or Mrs. I suppose) was right there among them. Then he took off long before they did. Yesterday evening the heron was sitting up high in a pine tree all hunched up. That was a strange sight with its light gray plumage contrasting against the dark pine needles.

The little turtle is still hanging around. Yesterday afternoon I caught him moving up the dam about 10 feet from the spillway stream I put him in. I was worried the dogs would find him, so I moved him to the upper end of the pond where the slope is gentler and the bank is softer mud. I figured he was wanting to get to the pond to possibly hibernate in the mud. But our pond level is up and he'd have about a foot drop into 6-8 inches of water where he was headed. It frosted last night or early this morning, so I was a bit worried about him as I left for school before daylight this morning. When I got home I was releived to see him in about the same spot I put him in sunning himself. This evening he was headed back into the water's edge.

I took Oscar to get nuetered this morning. Since they did laser surgery I could pick him up this evening. But we have to keep him "quiet" for a couple of days. That means figuring out a place to keep him seperate from Jasmine because they play rough. We'll work it out. BTW, both Oscar and Jasmine are on petfinders.com. If interested in seeing their pics, go to www.hsop.org and look in "our pets".

Mmmmmmmmmmm....Baps
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#152130 10/02/03 02:21 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Lois, this is my second attempt at posting to you. Seems my computer has the hickups "still".

Anyway, How wonderful it must be to have your pond right there to watch the comings and goings of water fowl. I just love Great Blues. They are graceful and beautiful. I could watch them for hours.

It must make your heart feel so good to have raised successfully those darling geese. I'm so glad that you get to see geese (even if they aren't yours) so often. The experience you had will follow you the rest of your life.

I checked out the website and was only able to find Jasmine's photo. I don't know how I missed Oscar. Jasmine is a real cutie. I'm sure someone will fall in love with her.

Thanks for posting your sightings.

Rose

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.