Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152114 09/28/03 03:36 AM
helen Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I got the chance to go fishing with DH's boss today. (DH and DS came too. LOL) We were on a big river here. The target fish were rainbow trout. Not just any rainbows mind you. We were after the monster ones. The 30" long, 4-6 pound ones. (Yes Marian, we did catch fish. I have a great photo of DH's boss with his monster rainbow.

But, the real excitement was the grizzly bears and black bears. For the first bear encounter we were in the boat. We got really close to it. I also have a photo that I can share as soon as I figure out how. (I know, look at the post below with directions in it.) This little grizzly is maybe a 3-4 year old. Not very big.

The second grizzly we saw was when we were fishing from shore. This one walked along the shore to within about 150 yards of us before it went back into the woods. Not too much bigger than the first one. Way too cool. Unfortunatly the sun was in the wrong place I couldn't get a photo.

The Black Bear and her two cubs were across the river from us as we fished from shore. Not nearly close enough to photograph, but plenty of fun to watch.

I've got to take time to write an Ode to Fall that's been running around my head. I took a wonderful walk today too. The fall colors are at their peak. I took a few photos and will take some more tomorrow if the weather holds. I just love this time of the year.

Rose

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#152115 09/28/03 07:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our Fall colors haven't started here yet. This summer just keeps dragging on. Yesterday was so humid and disgusting that it made me want to crawl into the fridge.

For a woman who wants to avoid bears, you certainly get your fair share of them! I'm glad the mamma and cubs were on the other side of the river from you..that's not something I'd want to have within 150 yards of me. Can't wait to see the pictures!!

If you want to e-mail the photos to me, I can post them for you.

Marian - who would kill for a nice trout dinner

#152116 09/28/03 10:48 AM
Gecko
Gecko
I guess the only bears I've ever seen have been in zoos, but that's not saying I'd ever want to meet up with one on a trail unexpectedly. On my most recent woodsy hike my only encounter was with a chipmunk. I'm happy just reading your accounts, Rose, and pretending that I'm in the boat with you watching the grizzlies and the black bears. I do hope you can figure out how to share your photos (I've found it to be easy), but if not, do e-mail some to Marian so we can all share in your adventures. I hate it when I've got a perfect shot of some wildlife (or other subject), and everything is great except the position of the sun.

We've been in that same muggy system that Marian is complaining about, but looking at the extended forecast there will be lows in the 30's by later this week so I imagine some colors should be showing up soon. We had almost 2" of rain since yesterday bringing our two week total to about 8". I'm sure some areas of the country would be happy to have a little of our bounty.

~~Leequi (who's wondering whether the Chowder Pot Pub serves trout or some equally delicious fish)

#152117 09/28/03 07:38 PM
Speaking of fish dinners....we have a big pond full of blue gill - one of the best tasting fish to bake, broil, or fry. And we hardly ever eat any. We keep saying we need to eat more of them and thin down the population, but we get busy, we get tired, we forget. I would love to have some grilled fish. There's also plenty of large mouth bass, but they aren't nearly as tasty.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....Baps
#152118 09/28/03 09:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I looooooove bluegill but haven't had them in over 15 years!!! We used to catch them at the lake all the time.

Marian

#152119 09/29/03 01:55 AM
helen Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Marian, we didn't keep any of the trout. Not that we don't like a good trout dinner, but because we want to preserve the fishing in this incredible river. I too love a good trout.

Leequi, sometimes I feel like I spend too much time behind the camera lense. In a way, I was glad to be able to watch the second grizzly and the black bears without worrying about setting up a shot. Though the blacks would have been a great photo if I had my long lense with me.

Lois, Blue gill are really good fish. I haven't had them in over 30 years. Used to fish for them in PA and NY all the time when I was a kid. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

Rose

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.