logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152099 09/24/03 06:45 AM
OP Offline
Yesterday afternoon while I was walking the dogs, a small flock (is that the proper naming of this group - will have to check back on that previous e-mail) of wild turkey crossed the path up ahead of us. At first just one trotted across and Oscar, the sharpei/rot mix, took off toward it, but came back when called. Then 3 more crossed in front of us and Oscar just couldn't resist. He took to the chase and I saw one turkey take flight and head down a hillside pasture. Luckily, I had Jasmine, the pit/elk mix on a leash. She wanted to go, but stood still as a statue by my side with a longing look in her eyes. I've taken to two evening walks now-a-days. One with Smiley and Dex, another with Jas and Oscar. We trade free time in the great wide open with them, so each gets time to wander around the pond, etc. Jasmine's and Oscar's profiles are going up on Petfinders.com this week, so look for them if you get a chance.

Friday night as I was coming home late after setting up an exhibit at a local arts and craft fair, a red fox darted across the road out in front of me. Gave me quite a surprise, but luckily I was going slow and he was far enough ahead of me, that I didn't have to slam the brakes on.

Yesterday evening I looked up toward the upper end of the pond and saw a large bird being chased/followed by several smaller ones. By the coloring it appeared to be a hawk or an owl. It was flying low and heading into the trees. I thought that was interesting. Wish I had a better view to make an ID.

The mystery duck/grebe spent a few days with us and has now departed. I took some photos and will scan those soon and hopefully get them to Marian.

Our turtle is still hanging out in the garden. Last night the temps got to 44. I hope being close to the ground he is OK. I piled leaves around him, since I saw him one morning burrowed in some leaves.

That's the news from Lake Wobegon, I mean Lake Lois.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....Baps
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#152100 09/24/03 02:47 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Lois aren't those turkey beautiful to watch. I chuckle when I see them, remembering that they were suggested for our National Bird. I can just see the "fear" that symbol would strike in the hearts of our enemy. LOL

You tell me that I live in the wild. My dear, you see plenty of wonderful wildlife. It has been a long time since I've seen a fox.

Rose

#152101 09/26/03 07:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lois, I can't wait to see the photos. I hope they turn out so that we can help you with the ID of this mystery bird (I love a good mystery!).

Rose, can you imagine us eating our national symbol??? That would be sooooo wrong!!! Of course, we did horrible things to the eagle, too. Sigh...

Marian

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.