logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
helen Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I've been meaning to post this for over a week now. Seems life just gets way too complicated sometimes.

It was about 10 days ago I was napping on the couch when a strange sound pierced my dreams. The sound got louder and louder. Finally I was awake enough to know what it was. Sandhill Cranes!!! I've heard them before, but never this loud. I stepped out the door and searched the sky toward the swampland where I usually see them. Nothing. Then I looked overhead. My God, there were well over 100 cranes circling our house. I stood there in awe as the group circled tighter and tighter directly overhead. When I finally started thinking again, I ran into the house for the camera. Too late, by the time I returned outdoors, the huge group was spreading out and had moved too far away for a good photo. Why they chose our house I'll never know. I've never seen that many in one group before either. It was awesome.

Another sighting took place today in the swamp. DH and I walked down there for a little exercise. We kept hearing what I thought sounded like a branch rubbing in the wind. But it had a bird like quality to it. We searched and DH was the first to spot this bird. Not getting a good look at it because of the angle of the sun, I can't be sure, but I think it was a Gray Catbird. According to my bird books, it would be out of it's range. Stanger things have happened. Maybe it will be there tomorrow.

Rose

Sponsored Post Advertisement
What glorious sights come your way! I can only imagine how wonderful seeing the sandhill cranes must have been. I believe I would have stood awestruck too. Oh, you live the good life, don't you? Living in the great outdoors is truly living in the lap of luxury if you ask me.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....Baps
Gecko
Gecko
Lucky you, Rose. I'm not likely to experience anything comparable to your sandhill cranes, Rose, but I am seeing lots of Canada Geese flying in formation over my house, some quite low. I'm guessing they may be geese who spend the winter around here, but I don't tend to see them very often during the summer so it seems as if some of their habits are changing now that fall is here.

Two weeks ago when I was out in my little raspberry patch picking what was probably the last berries of the season, I had some enjoyable companionship. It was a gray catbird--and I suspect he was a young one--who was perched on our fence and hopping around on it anywhere from 5-10 feet from where I was standing. I can't imagine he didn't see me although I was partially obscured by the tall raspberry canes. He flew to a dead cherry tree for a few minutes and then returned to the fence near me. I decided I needed to take his picture so I left my spot to retrieve my camera. I never got his pic, though, as he was gone when I returned.

~~Leequi

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rose, I've always longed to see a sandhill crane in the wild. There were rumors of them being at Montezuma wildlife refuge when I was there, but I never saw one. I'll be passing through Texas on my way to Vegas and that's one of their wintering grounds. I bought a pair of binoculars which are also a digital camera, so I'm hoping to take some nice pictures along the way.

Leequi, the catbirds that hang out around my home are fearless. While I'm gardening, they'll land less than five feet away from me and sit there while I'm working, almost like they want to watch. I guess curiosity is another cat-like trait we can attribute to them.

Marian

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.