logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Leequi Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
On Thursday before Hurricane Isabel had even touched down on the shores of North Carolina we started experiencing strong winds with even stronger gusts way up here in SE PA. According to a link posted by Shelley the other day I read that, "During a storm, birds and other animals know instinctively to take shelter and 'hunker down.' They will find any possible places out of the wind, hail, rain."

Well guess who 'hunkered down' on the leeward side of my house, protected from the strongest of the winds and most of the intermittent rain that announced Isabel's approach? If you guessed a praying mantis, you'd be correct. It was probably the late season fellow I had spotted and photographed two days earlier. And just where did he seek shelter? Up near the top of a sunroom screen where the overhang served as his own personal umbrella. He wasn't getting food up in that location but I watched him closely for hours as he monitored the bee action down below on the Abelia Grandiflora blossoms (which is coincidentally the shrub that served as the host for the egg mass which opened up to yield my very first little mantis babies two years ago). He remained in that location for at least four hours before heading down into the Abelia Grandiflora around dusk, and after we had enjoyed his company while eating supper in the sunroom. I haven't seen him since Thursday so I hope he was able to escape the wrath of Isabel when she started getting real nasty.

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Leequi,
That's a great shot! You can really see how the vulture uses his tail and wings to stabilize his landing!

That mantis looked nice and plump and healthy. Hope he made it through the winds okay. He seemed to have everything under control, LOL.

Marian

Leequi Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Marian--I was so happy to have captured the vulture in that position. Although for a very short period of time (before I could turn on my camera) we had a number of vultures quite close to the car, only one of the four pics I shot showed anything that could be easily identified as a vulture. By the time I was ready to shoot, all but the vulture in the pic had flown off or moved to a more distant location.

As for my praying mantis, I'm happy to say that he survived Isabel's winds and looked quite healthy when I spotted him on a holly bush this afternoon. After watching him for a minute or two and then doing a few garden maintenance chores, I went into the house to get my camera. I was disappointed that he wasn't still there when I returned to take his picture. Oh well, perhaps I'll get to see him some other time.

~~Leequi

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.