logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Leequi Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
After consulting with the Stokes Field Guide to Birds/Eastern Region, I can confirm that I did indeed sight two large Black Vultures soaring above the rain-swollen Perkiomen Creek earlier this week. Based on the appearance of these large black birds with pale whitish primary feathers, short tails, and appearance similar to the Turkey Vultures that I see quite regularly, I probably should have been able to ID them as well. We had ruled them out as being Turkey Vultures, though, with their easily recognizable naked red heads and totally black bodies, but hadn't really gotten a good sighting of the Black Vulture's less distinguishable but larger naked, wrinkled, gray heads. Based on the Stokes Guide range map, these vultures were at the northern limits of their normal range, which might explain why I'm more likely to sight Turkey Vultures, who are quite abundant in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for your assistance, Rose.

~~Leequi

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
My pleasure Leequi. The first real clue was when you said the wing tips were like fingers. Don't you just love those big old birds. I have seen tons of Turkey Vultures and been within 15 feet of one while it ate lunch once. I've only seen Black Vultures twice. But, I sure won't forget them.

According to my books they had to have been at the Northern most part of their range too.

Glad I could Help.

Rose

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hmmm? What?????? Vultures????? Where? When? Why? Wheeeeeeeeeeeee...........!!!

Marian (stopping in briefly before going back to that stupid thing called real life that's been causing her undue stress all week long)

Wahhhhhhhh......I wanna play with my friends!!!!
:love:

Gecko
Gecko
Awwwww, Marian I hope the stress in your life gives you a break soon. We miss you here.

Rose

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.