Print Thread
#151744 08/09/03 08:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You've heard of black bears, grizzly bears, polar bears, but have you ever heard of the water bear? You probably passed one sometime this week, in fact, maybe just outside your front door. You can't see him, and he can't see you, so there's no need to fear his mighty claws. He lumbers around on his eight legs in search of food and... wait...did I just say "eight legs"??? Yep. This lovable, microscopic, gummy bear is one of nature's little known secrets. Looking like a child's favorite snack food, it has amazing features. It can shrivel down to almost coffee ground consistency and fall asleep during a drought, but just a drop of water will revive it, even 100 years later! In their dry state, they can survive freezing, extreme heat, and radiation. They are most likely to be found in a mossy area, though they have even been found in Antarctica!

Controversy seems to follow this little guy. Some say it is extraterrestrial in origin. In fact, in their dry state, they can survive the vacuum of space.

For an AMAZING video (1.0 megs, so give it time!) of a water bear walking, click here: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/imgnov01/wbsweets.wmv
This video was taken by Martin Mach, the unofficial authority on water bears. He writes a newsletter entirely devoted to them. It is at The Water Bear Web Base: http://www.baertierchen.de/wbwb.html

So unique are the water bears that they have their own Phylum. They also go by the name tardigrade, but, my favorite of all, is it's other name...moss piglet. Now that's something to squeal about.

Marian

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Heehee, before clicking on any of your links, what immediately came to my mind while reading this profile was that this little guy sounds suspiciously like he might be related to another mysterious and curious *creature*, the sea monkey!

Hmmm....

I couldn't get the video to work but the animation at the top of the newsletter was cool!

Where DO you find these things???!!

These are facinating and I second what Shelley said, "Where DO you find these things?"

xxx, Ruth eek

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.