logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143635 08/10/04 05:02 PM
shaaron Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All! I am the proud owner of 3 wonderful kitties...Samantha,Boo (Blue Pt. Markings)and Satin a beautiful Black Kitty. Boo and Satin are males and of course Samantha is a little girl! They are 3 1/2 years old. Since they have been old enough to eat solid food I have fed them Meow Mix and just recently (the last 2 Very large bags)was feeding them Atta Cat. In the last 2 weeks both my males have been to the Vet diagnosed with F.L.U.T.D. It is a disease of the urinary tract that is sometimes related to the buildup of crystals, leading to the inflammation of the lining of the urinary bladder and urethra. Satin had the non-obstructed form that was treated w/o surgery but he was very ill. Boo on the other hand was completely obstructed and had surgery removing a portion of his [censored]. This still did not work and I have just picked him up having gone through the Dr. completely removing his [censored],cutting and suturing his urethra at a point just below his anus. He is now a she! The cause? Their Dr. is absolutely convinced it was the Atta Cat...I'm not sure of the ingredient in it (I will find out)but it is linked to this disease and should be thrown out immediatly. F.L.U.T.D occurs more often in males as their urethra is much narrower. I found helpful info @ www.lbah.com/Feline/flutd.html I hope this saves at least one kitty from going through this terrible ordeal that my poor Boo has been through. Sharon

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#143636 08/24/04 12:45 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Wow - what a terrible episode! I have a female cat prone to crystals and bladder infections, and the only thing that has helped is putting her on a diet of prescription canned cat food only, mixed with some distilled water. She also is only allowed to drink distilled water (to the extent possible). Although the prescription food is a little pricier, I recommend it. Even the non-prescription brands that claim to be for "urinary track" problems make her sick.

#143637 09/14/04 06:05 PM
Gecko
Gecko
I have an update on my cat with this condition. She just came down with another infection, and I took her to our new vet in Seattle. They want to put her anti-depressants (!!) because they think stress makes the urinary tract problems occur more often and makes them worse.

Our cat Sophie is very dominant, and she's always stressed out. Our other 4 pets are always pretty mellow, so she's definitely the most uptight.

We're going to try the anti-depressants and see what happens!

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.