logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#142837 12/04/04 06:55 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Ed's got us beat by three! Ha! I love to hear about families bigger than my own. Survivors. It cracked me up when you said everyone was on their best behavior. Don't I know what you mean by that one!
I see how you miss the way your parents treated Christmas, gee---who wouldn't? That is fairybook stuff for those of us for whom the last paycheck before Christmas was it. I remember one scary year where Dad was late getting home from work...they rushed the toy store and just bought them out. Seriously, your memories of Christmas were made by your parents, and they were so good that it would be hard to best them. That your brothers aren't up for keeping your family's trad. going is what's hard for you. Are your brothers close to you otherwise? Maybe they feel that you have Ed's family and there's no room for them there. But I'm glad you're starting anew. Sometimes we have to do that at all times of life, just keep starting over.
It's true about the tourist stuff and the holidays. We seem to end up over there in February too often (now again!), and the family feels hard-pressed at times to entertain us, as the "nice" places are often closed for the season. It only makes sense that the holiday workers do their own "holidays" in Portugal, Spain, or Greece when it's cold and miserable at home.<G> Ireland is at her prime in the late spring through early fall. No one can imagine why anyone would go there for a holiday any other time. We go when we can, and that's it. Try to do it when the weather's decent if you can. It's more expensive, of course, (and you wouldn't believe the amount of money one can spend over there!), but at least you're getting your money's worth when it's not lashing down rain and blowing your 'brolly inside out.

"O'Donnell abu" is "O'Donnell forever." O'Donnell was my maiden name. Historically speaking, it was a good thing to marry a Sweeney. They were the gallowglasses of the O'Donnell. So far, so good.<G>

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#142838 12/04/04 09:05 PM
Mary Ellen, that's a baited hook if ever there was one. Gallowglass: I'm off to Googleland.

#142839 12/10/04 04:25 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Now Dune, auld gal, you know what a gallowglass is. It may have been 10 years since we last talked about it, but it hasn't changed meaning. A mercenary, a hired guy in the olden days. Back when there was more royalty in Ireland than there were followers (practically). The MacSweeneys came from Scotland to support the O'Donnells in trying to keep things going when Lizzie I was looking for more property to give her friends. That's how the Sweeney clan came to be Irish rather than Scottish. (Though if you look at a map, you'll see that it's all pretty much attitude, because the distances involved are so small that it's scarcely worth discussion. It's almost embarrassing that there has been so much discussion, etc. involved.)
Doe Castle was one of the payments. Really, they were great guys. Just didn't have much of a chance. My personal theory is that if the Irish High Kings could have bitten the humility bullet and banded together, that would have put an end to all the foolishness right then and there. But they just couldn't bring themselves to do it. I understand, but I still don't approve. There was just too much behind them for them to forgive and forget and hold hands. But if they could have done that, there'd have been no "Troubles." And wouldn't that have been something.
Mary Ellen
(still trying to figure it all out)

#142840 01/17/05 01:22 PM
Been researching English history. Found several unvarnished descriptions of English-Irish history. Yes, I knew definition of 'gallowglass,' thanks to you, Madame Editor, but wanted a leg up in new avenue of research.

#142841 01/17/05 01:25 PM
P. S. - In rereading your post, I see you nailed it re Irish history all the way back. Can you imagine how far we would have gotten if we didn't have this crippling, infantile pride. Maybe it's our handicap from our creator; otherwise, we'd rule the universe. (Oh, we don't?)

#142842 01/19/05 09:47 PM
Gecko
Gecko
The last three words of your post about sum it up there, Dunie. Personal take; we do. When others were lording it over the colonies, Paddy was usually down in the dirt with the natives making fun of the fellow up on the horse. That's how I heard it and how I see it. It was that way up until a few years ago, anyway, when the Creator decided to have a bit of fun and invented what's now called the "Celtic Tiger," an economic turn of events that has Ireland practically printing money. Never before seen or thought of, and now it's a fact, Jack.
Mary Ellen

#142843 01/19/05 09:47 PM
Gecko
Gecko
The last three words of your post about sum it up there, Dunie. Personal take; we do. When others were lording it over the colonies, Paddy was usually down in the dirt with the natives making fun of the fellow up on the horse. That's how I heard it and how I see it. It was that way up until a few years ago, anyway, when the Creator decided to have a bit of fun and invented what's now called the "Celtic Tiger," an economic turn of events that has Ireland practically printing money. Never before seen or thought of, and now it's a fact, Jack.
Mary Ellen

#142844 01/22/05 12:32 PM
Madame Editor, it's getting close to your trip, yes? Will there be any problem with Continental? Could you do a reprise of the wedding when you get back? Thanks and bon voyage, Dunie

#142845 01/22/05 07:12 PM
Gecko
Gecko
The trip is still a cipher even as the wedding looms. It might not be a good time to be a guest as there has been illness in the family, and postponment may still be the most considerate choice.
Oh no...I've not been watching the news. Is my Continental ticket about to become useless?
Pow!
MES

#142846 01/22/05 07:51 PM
No. Continental is still up and flying. What will be, will be. You'll go if you're supposed to; what else?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bee - IrishCulture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.