Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57465 Members
417 Forums
113604 Topics
806755 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 438
Nancy Roussy 225
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 114
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 65
Jana - Creativity Editor 62
Mona - Astronomy 58
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 39
mary-tea1 18
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#360055 - 12/15/07 11:39 PM Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? [Re: BellaShorts]
Melissa Editor Offline
Shark

My short story was actually an experimental piece that I wrote. I usually write SF but instead was inspired to write five slice-of-life vignettes about women thoughout history and the themes that they shared in common. It starts in primal South America, goes through Medieval Europe, the Englightenment, the American Frontier and then Modern day. I was working on integrating symbolism and thematic elements and it realy just was an experiment, but I have gotten a lot of positive feedback about it and several people have told me I should expand it to include more vignettes.

Nice to see your writing group thread. I should post there next.

Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Twitter Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Facebook Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to MySpace Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Reddit
#360212 - 12/16/07 05:05 PM Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? [Re: Melissa Editor]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: England
Yes do, Im sure we'd all love to see you there.

Your post reminds me of Emmeline (with her slavery missives!) and an Anne Enright one about a Victorian scientist - fascinating to try to get inside a personality and write with their voice/circumstances. An author has just tried this with Byrons lady love, strong stuff though! Interesting idea seeing as this author is male! Your stories sound intriguing.

Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Twitter Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Facebook Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to MySpace Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? to Reddit
#360732 - 12/19/07 10:48 AM Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? [Re: BellaShorts]
Shaun Offline
Amoeba

I have just sold a short story to Cemetery Dance, which is probably the biggest professional horror magazine available, so I'm very pleased. I now do believe in Santa:)

Edited by Shaun (12/19/07 04:45 PM)

#361193 - 12/21/07 03:27 PM Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? [Re: Shaun]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: England
Congratulations Shaun ! Did you ever try self-publishing? We were having a bit of debate on the Writing Group thread about whether it damages our chances? I have even emailed a publisher to ask!

#361208 - 12/21/07 04:40 PM Re: Anyone here had a SS pub'd? [Re: BellaShorts]
Shaun Offline
Amoeba

Thanks.

No, I've never self-published. My thoughts are that if it's good enough, someone will want to publish it. I don't know what you mean by damage your chances, but I don't feel it's something that can be put on your CV that would make anyone perk up and take more of an interest in whoever did it. But then horses for courses, as the saying goes, and lots of people walk that path, some with a measure of success. But I prefer to be paid for my work, rather than pay someone else. As another saying goes, money should flow to the writer, not away.

Edited by Shaun (12/21/07 04:41 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Winter Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
49 minutes 21 seconds ago
Neurotic November Book Review
by Edie - MysteryBooksEd
Mystery Books
Yesterday at 08:35 PM
Great iPhone 6 and 6 plus accessories
by Ewa - Photography
Photography
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Need help identifying the artist / location
by Art Appreciation
Art Appreciation
Yesterday at 03:26 PM
Fischbild (1925) by Paul Klee
by Art Appreciation
Art Appreciation
Yesterday at 03:23 PM
Cosmic White Christmas *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 11:10 AM
Warm and Cozy Holiday Muffins
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Home Cooking
Yesterday at 09:17 AM
Half a Century of Writing!
by IH8FMS
Journals
Yesterday at 09:15 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Yesterday at 08:46 AM
New Review: Home Alone!
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 08:12 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.