logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142627 05/16/04 10:12 PM
OP Offline
We have had a family meeting and made some educational decisions. I have created a course of study for the curriculum change I mentioned in another post.

This method and even the materials used is closer to my husband's own home education so he is in full support of this and has supported something different from what I was using for quite some time.

I am interested in some feedback to help me to flesh out my ideas.

Grammar:
Materials: Handbooks for writers, college level handbooks, vintage textbooks, print outs from the net on grammar rules
Course Work: The various guides and texts will be used to learn all the rules from basic to advanced. Students will apply what they learn by labeling sentences from literature material, newspapers and magazines. Students will also engage in regular letter writing and other real life excercises.

Literature:
Materials: Novels and other writings
Course Work: Students will read chosen material. Students will read out loud for a specified amount of time. Vocabulary, questions and book reports and projects will also be used.

Writing and Penmanship:
Materials: Notebook, dictionary
Course Work: Grammar skills, spelling and penmanship will be practised by keeping a journal. Entry topics will be assigned daily.

Spelling:
Materials:
Course Work: This course has not be determined.

Math
Materials: vintage textbooks, workbooks, internet print outs, hands on applications
Course Work: We will begin with basic skills and work up to advanced material.

Science
Materials: books, magazines, articles, internet, experiments and projects
Course Work: Topics will follow the state's basic guidelines to keep studies organised. Information will be supplied by real books and sources and supplemented with hands on activities. Real life applications will be used when possible.

History/Geography
Materials: books, articles, magazines, internet, maps, projects
Course Work: Studies will follow a guideline based on breaking down studies by country in three different time periods.

Life and Home Management
Materials: varies
Course Work: These studies offer lessons that are necessary to living a healthy and full adult life. Studies include home management, childcare, fitness, business management, yard and home maintenance, spiritual studies and other skills.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Wow, wish I was that organized!

I finally got around to buying Sonlight K language arts for my soon to be 6 yr old. I'm still looking for grade 3 used for my 7 yr old.

I'm not big into curriculum, but with current baby and baby #4 on the way, I could use the help this year I believe.

I will say that homeschooling is so much easier now that the 7 yr old can read!! She isn't reading silently yet, but it sure it easier!

Meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
OP Offline
I worry about sticking close to public school standards in case something drastic happens and we have to make use of public education.
I find it easier to do this if we are a bit on the organised side.

Beyond that I have a son who is a happier child when he lives and is schooled in militant fashion. I can't give him the level of structure he is happiest with but I can at least find some point of comfort for us both.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Ugh. I have one of those. Since the minute this little one was born she HAD to be on an exact schedule!

Meg

Meg
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
OP Offline
I wish you luck in the baby outgrowing that a bit.

Morgan was on a very rigid self set schedule when he was a baby. At the time, I thought it was great that he was so easy to deal with.

Until...we...homeschooled!

I think Morgan is very much influenced by his surroundings. He struggles to focus and deal with chaos and change. For him, a rigid approach keeps this issues in check.

We have found that meditation and the study of martial arts works well for him. Smaller crowds and less distracting sounds and lights works too.

OP Offline
I wish you luck in the baby outgrowing that a bit.

Morgan was on a very rigid self set schedule when he was a baby. At the time, I thought it was great that he was so easy to deal with.

Until...we...homeschooled!

I think Morgan is very much influenced by his surroundings. He struggles to focus and deal with chaos and change. For him, a rigid approach keeps this issues in check.

We have found that meditation and the study of martial arts works well for him. Smaller crowds and less distracting sounds and lights works too.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
HAA! It's not the baby, it's my 5 yr old!! The baby, however, seems to be following well in her footsteps!!!

Meg

Meg
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
OP Offline
Ahhh two of them!! My sympathies.

I have two very opposite learners. That is frustrating as well.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.